Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

RAM Mount on the Dash

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
cmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
RAM Mount on the Dash

Has anyone been brave enough to mount a RAM plate directly in to the dash?

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ram-Mount-RAM-...ords=ram+mount

http://www.amazon.com/Inches-1-Inch-...ords=ram+mount

I'm looking for something I can mount my smartphone to, securely. The plastic on the dash seems pretty stiff, but its hard to tell how much torque it can actually handle without actually going through with it. I don't really want to be a guinea pig but I haven't come up with any better places to mount!

Share your RAM mount installs please!
Old 11-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
leeroycoverdell is on a distinguished road

Air Force: B-1 ISO crew cheif
Name: Leeroy
leeroycoverdell's Tacoma Gallery
https://www.panavise.com/index.html?...ECTIONSword=ww

i hope this will make your dreams come true. if you want to wait i will be mounting a tablet to one in a few weeks and i will let you know how sturdy they are.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
cmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shed
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroycoverdell View Post
https://www.panavise.com/index.html?...ECTIONSword=ww

i hope this will make your dreams come true. if you want to wait i will be mounting a tablet to one in a few weeks and i will let you know how sturdy they are.
I was thinking of mounting on top of the dash due to lack of space but that mount looks pretty good. I'm curious how much give it will have with a tablet and how much it vibrates while driving over bumps. Definitely report back!
Old 11-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Have you seen these?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...group-buy.html

More specifically for iPads: https://mobarmor.com/shop/shield-2/#....xVfxqs40.dpbs
Old 11-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
Kid Hauler Trail Rig
Qumodo is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Evan
Qumodo's Tacoma Gallery
Im ordering the Tech Deck. great product. look for the thread in the search bar. just type in tech deck
Old 11-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
toendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nice
Name: Harlan
toendanger's Tacoma Gallery
I am wanting to get a ram mount too. From what videos I've watched on YouTube they look like the sturdiest ones out there. Even the suction cup ones. Should be plenty sturdy for a smartphone. I was planning on a dedicated mount solely for a 7" tablet running torque and maybe music. Idk when I'll be getting mine. Might go look at this tablet Mon or tues if I feel like driving cuz it's far. But yeah I'm curious too how sturdy they are when off roading. I thought about drilling to the dash but I'm not gonna. I'll be getting the windshield suction one. If it's not sturdy enough I'll end up returning it.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qumodo View Post
Im ordering the Tech Deck. great product. look for the thread in the search bar. just type in tech deck

^^^ Doesn't work for a 1st gen....

And sub'd. Was justing thinking today I needed a way to mount my phone somewhere on the dash.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
So basically I'd be doing this but using screws to secure to the dash instead of a suction cup:

Old 11-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Ordered this to hold me over:

http://www.amazon.com/Ram-Mount-Suct...ords=RAM+mount

I can just get a different base if I want to change it up!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
toendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nice
Yeah that thing should be plenty sturdy. Last thing 'I' would do is drill holes. They do make a stick on circular pad for the suction mount that you can stick on the dash. That would be the way to go if you really want it on the dash and not the windshield. But again, the suction mounts are probly going to be just as sturdy as screwing it to the dash. And when you get that mount up, take a video for us if you can and show us!
Old 11-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #11
Found these too
http://www.niteize.com/product/Steel...-Mount-Kit.asp
Certainly wouldn't get one if you want it sturdy. I might get one for my phone just because I'm tired of fumbling with it in the cup holder. Being it's the HTC one max and it's freaking huge. That way I can just throw my phone on it plus have a dedicated ram mount for the tablet. I did however see a YouTube vid of someone that used two of the steelie mounts and laid the tablet flush against the front of the dash, sorta hanging front the two mounts. But then it won't be able to be repositioned or angled. Plus I don't think it would be possible on our tiny dashes to make it sit flush. Idk. Just an idea. Didn't mean to change topic from a ram mount. Just wanted to share
Old 11-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
raise hell, drink beer
mustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
mustangstephen's Tacoma Gallery
PO mounted one to the dash on my truck. I didn't know what it was and ripped it off and had a fawked up spot on the dash. I cover it every year with a little calender from the local car quest. I guess it's ok just don't ever plan on it coming back off if you put it on the dash.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
JudoJohn is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
JudoJohn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj View Post
So basically I'd be doing this but using screws to secure to the dash instead of a suction cup:

You should check CA state law on that. It used to be illegal to mount anything like that on your dash. the HP could write you a ticket and then you may have to remove it.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #14
EASY WIND
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj View Post
Has anyone been brave enough to mount a RAM plate directly in to the dash?
Not brave enough here, so I went this way. There is felt on the bottom so no marks. It uses the Ram "short" adjustable mount and Garmin CSX cradle.
Its pretty sturdy but if I did it again I would start with at least 2.5" wide aluminum strip. This one started with 2". By the time I got the compound curve to match the dash and trimmed the sides parallel it's down to about 1.5". The mini bungee hooks needed a new shape to hook into the dash louvers.
The hard wired power cord lays in the gap between the dash and glass. It can be seen in the second pic near the bottom of the pass side pillar.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:28 AM   #16
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for sharing all of your setups guys.

I found a pic of someone doing exactly what I was thinking:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...968#post771968

Clean, but no going back. I don't think I'd mount my radio there b/c of theft but I might go ahead with the mount at some point. In the mean time I did receive the suction cup mount and it is much sturdier than I thought it would be.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #17
Told ya so jk. You should take a video if you can. On a bumpy road or somethin. I wanna see

And holy crap how much shit is that other guy running!? Way too much. Must need it for business or something. Is that a huge monitor to the right?

Edit: Nvm didn't see the link
Old 11-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #18
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Ok.. The suction cup mount got me in to it and now I'm sold on these Ram mounts. They are awesome. I ended up also buying parts to mount one on the "oh shit" handle for my garmin like others have done. The mount for the eTrex is wierd though.. it sticks out pretty far and its a bit close to the steering wheel. I'll get some pics when the sun is out tomorrow.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #19
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toendanger View Post
Told ya so jk. You should take a video if you can. On a bumpy road or somethin. I wanna see

And holy crap how much shit is that other guy running!? Way too much. Must need it for business or something. Is that a huge monitor to the right?

Edit: Nvm didn't see the link
If I tried to record on a bumpy road, the camera would be way to shaky to see any movement in the ram mount.

And yeah that guy's truck is a bit crowded inside..
Old 11-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #20
But no shaky shaky? You think it would hold a 7"tablet just the same? Been shopping around. Gonna try to get one on black Friday deals. Found a cheap one at Wal-Mart that seems decent. Couple others elsewhere under $70. Don't need anything special, just gonna run torque on it. Maybe I can get a deal on a ram mount too and keep it under $100

Products Discussed in this Thread