1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Differential axle shaft problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by longwaytothetop, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Apr 25, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    longwaytothetop

longwaytothetop [OP] Member

Member:
    Richmond Va
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L
    Hey everyone, so about 2 months ago when I was driving on the highway i see this huge pot-hole in front of me and I avoid it with my front wheels but it hit my rear driver side wheel pretty hard. Ever since that happened my left rear wheel has had a slight wobble and when I go over 45mph it just gets even worse...its no not a vibration like a bad wheel bearing , but a wobble. So I was thinking hey it must have bent the wheel or maybe the bearing went or something. So i look at it today with the rear wheels off the ground and tires spinning, and I notice that the entire wheel, tires, brake drum and center hub seem to have the same in-and-out wobble. What it seems to be(what my dad and me believe) is the rear differential axle shaft on the driver side must have been slightly bent from that huge pot-hole. Also, the wheel bearing looked/felt fine as well.
    So my question is, have you guys ever looked for a rear differential axle shaft...i have found it really hard to find, mainly because most websites sell the whole differential itself, but I only need the axle shaft thats inside. Anyone know where I could find one, besides the dealership-stealership? ill probably head to the junkyard this week to see if there is anything there, but more options would be awesome.
    Thanks

2. Apr 25, 2009 at 8:10 PM
    trailinTaco

trailinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bel Air, MD
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4x4
    3 inch suspension lift, 33 inch bfgoodrich mud terrain tires, toytech diff drop, Procomp alloy wheels, hella fog lights, black projector headlights with 8000k HID's, blacked out tail lights, two 12 inch subs, 20% tint, pioneer head unit and speakers
    yeah actually i bent my axle shaft a while ago and at 70 mph the rear end shook really bad. and i could see my wheel wobble about an inch back and forth. i had the same problem you did it took me a while to find. the dealers qoute is 250 for a new one. so i went to a toyota used parts place and got one for 150 and they pulled it out of the truck. and whenever you get one you have to also replace the abs tone wheel, bearing, bearing retainer, and seal. i think the parts for that are around $50. its a bit of a job to do.

Products Discussed in

To Top