1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is it safe to run universal Prestone 50/50 in with pink antifreeze?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 2004TacomaSR5, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Nov 17, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 [OP] Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    I went down to O'Reillys today to get some antifreeze and was told that the universal stuff would work fine with my pink stuff, is this okay or do I need to find the good stuff? I want to be sure before I dump anything in mine.

2. Nov 17, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    Holy schmidt

Holy schmidt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Nebraska
    How low are you running now? And you could always just flush the system and put in new coolant

But I put in universal with my pink stuff when my radiator was leaking I didn't notice a difference

3. Nov 18, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    NEVER mix green and red, they are different for a reason.

in GM they use plastic gaskets so the red stuff doesn't eat away at them so that's why they use the red, use the green in a GM truck and in a month or two you will be pulling the intake manifold off to replace the leaking gasket.

Toyota may have done the same so use what came in it. its a lot better then having leaky gaskets later because of the wrong antifreeze.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  4. Nov 18, 2014 at 9:15 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Why not just bite the bullet and by some Toyota coolant?

5. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:05 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    +1.

6. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:49 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    Nearest Toyota dealer is over 100 miles away.

7. Nov 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    Holy schmidt

Holy schmidt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Nebraska
    quick question though why do you need more is it leaking?

8. Nov 18, 2014 at 9:40 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    No, just a little low is all, nothing serious, I'm just really anal about stuff like this. Ah well, I am heading out of town again Thursday and will be able to swing by a Toyota dealer along the way and pick up a couple gallons. Thanks guys!

9. Nov 18, 2014 at 9:43 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Go to the store and get a gallon of distilled water, it is compatible with the pink stuff.

10. Nov 19, 2014 at 4:13 AM
    EdFlecko

EdFlecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Sacramento, California
    Can't you just order the Toyota Genuine Fluid 00272-SLLC2 Long Life Coolant online and have it shipped to you?

If it was me, I wouldn't mix some "universal" coolant. I also wouldn't dilute your existing coolant with water in an area that gets as cold as I'll bet your home is because going to raise the temperature which your motor is protected against freezing - not what you want!

Play it safe - order the original Toyota stuff online and have it shipped to you.

Just my .02.

Ed

11. Nov 19, 2014 at 5:33 AM
    Tinmann

Tinmann Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Go back to O'reilly's and buy some of the 50/50 mix of pink coolant for Asian vehicles. It's there, you just have to read the label.

12. Nov 19, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    Unless they have it in the back room, I didn't see any out front. Oh well, I got other things I can use the Prestone in so it's no loss. Will find some pink stuff elsewhere.

Products Discussed in

To Top