1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tacoma high engine rpm when pulling tracker boat

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by invisionz111, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Apr 25, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    invisionz111

invisionz111 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC BSP
    5100 Bilstein’s (.85) w/ Eibach Springs | ¼ inch Taco Lean Spacer | 2” Add A Leaf Springs | 5100 Bilstein Rear Shocks| Light Racing UCAs | 955 B MotoMetal Wheels | Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrain 285/75/17 | ToyTec Diff Drop | AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter | Tint | Westin Bull Bar | Raptor Side Steps | UWS Toolbox | Weathertech Floor Mats | Weathertech Side Vents |
    I need some help/insight to find out if I need help or to accept what is happening when I tow my boat.

I have a Bass Tracker that totals 1250 lbs (boat & trailer) and shouldn't be a problem to tow. But, when I get on the interstate (transmission is out of overdrive) and get to 65 and 70 miles per hour the engine RPM's just climb higher to about 3200 and it doesn't shift. Is this normal or do I have a problem? It seems to me that the RPM's would come down to about 2000 after I obtain my cruising speed.

Can I just hit the button to go back to overdrive when doing 65/70 miles per hour and then take it out of overdrive when I need it?

FYI, I have a transmission oil cooler, the trans oil, filter and gasket were replaced about 500 miles ago. I have no problems driving the truck in overdrive or 4WD.

2. Apr 25, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Take it out of Over Drive.

Towing in overdrive is fine on newer vehicles. Older vehicle automatics had very weak planetary gears for the OD, and when towing, they would fall apart. This has been corrected since the late '80's. If the tranny starts to "hunt" (shift back and forth between OD and direct), then take it out, or manually shift to a lower gear. Otherwise, towing in OD wont be a problem.

3. Nov 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    What your describing is normal for a first gen. The overdrive button also controls 4th gear, so basically you're crusing in 3rd. I would leave OD on and use the ECT button when towing. Only turn OD off if your transmission starts gear hunting

4. Nov 27, 2013 at 6:03 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado

Products Discussed in

To Top