LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

tacoma high engine rpm when pulling tracker boat

Old 04-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
invisionz111 has a spectacular aura aboutinvisionz111 has a spectacular aura about

Army:
invisionz111's Tacoma Gallery
tacoma high engine rpm when pulling tracker boat

I need some help/insight to find out if I need help or to accept what is happening when I tow my boat.

I have a Bass Tracker that totals 1250 lbs (boat & trailer) and shouldn't be a problem to tow. But, when I get on the interstate (transmission is out of overdrive) and get to 65 and 70 miles per hour the engine RPM's just climb higher to about 3200 and it doesn't shift. Is this normal or do I have a problem? It seems to me that the RPM's would come down to about 2000 after I obtain my cruising speed.

Can I just hit the button to go back to overdrive when doing 65/70 miles per hour and then take it out of overdrive when I need it?

FYI, I have a transmission oil cooler, the trans oil, filter and gasket were replaced about 500 miles ago. I have no problems driving the truck in overdrive or 4WD.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Take it out of Over Drive.

Towing in overdrive is fine on newer vehicles. Older vehicle automatics had very weak planetary gears for the OD, and when towing, they would fall apart. This has been corrected since the late '80's. If the tranny starts to "hunt" (shift back and forth between OD and direct), then take it out, or manually shift to a lower gear. Otherwise, towing in OD wont be a problem.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sean
smmarine's Tacoma Gallery
What your describing is normal for a first gen. The overdrive button also controls 4th gear, so basically you're crusing in 3rd. I would leave OD on and use the ECT button when towing. Only turn OD off if your transmission starts gear hunting
Old 11-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery