Weird Vibration/Buzzing at specific RPM and throttle

Old 11-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Canadian Ambassador
garrettnb is on a distinguished road

Name: Garrett
garrettnb's Tacoma Gallery
Weird Vibration/Buzzing at specific RPM and throttle

3.4 V6 - in a 2000 Tacoma, California Spec exhaust

The sound is pretty hard to describe, but it's very obvious. Even my mother pointed it out with a "what the hell was that?". But it happens in every gear somewhere around 1700 and 2050 rpm at medium throttle. It's the most obvious when there is some more load on the truck - say I'm going up a hill and trying to accelerate. Now here is where it get's a little bit weird, when your're light on the throttle it does not happen at all. When heavy on the throttle it seems dependent on the engine load if it wants to appear or not.

I ran some seafoam through the intake which fixed what seafoam usually fixes. Pulled off the connection for the TPS sensor. In the past 6 months I cleaned the throttle bottle, MAF sensor, and I have confirmed that the O2 sensors are functioning correctly. The only thing I'm thinking it could be, and I have no idea how to check this is that there is a baffle in the exhaust that is vibrating when the correct amount of exhaust gases are moving past it.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 11-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
keakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
keakar's Tacoma Gallery
maybe this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KINqlTNxajQ
Old 11-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
Canadian Ambassador
garrettnb is on a distinguished road

Name: Garrett
garrettnb's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, not that. I went for a look around today and there is a rattle in my muffler and a seam is broken. I guess it's time for a replacement anyways. But I'm not so convinced. I guess time will tell.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
keakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
keakar's Tacoma Gallery
well the heat shields on cats and the exhaust are famous for making these strange sounds so I would look there if the muffler doesn't solve it and if you are doing the muffler replace that donut gasket in the video because as you can see it can leak and im sure yours has never ever been replaced so I bet its time