1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replace upper ball joint - Manual locking hubs

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 97TacoNM, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Nov 23, 2014 at 4:20 PM
    97TacoNM

97TacoNM [OP] Riding a 97 Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    NM
    Vehicle:
    97 Taco LX 4x4 Ext Cab
    Rampage halogens Custom bed rack
    So next on my list of suspension replacement is the UBJs on this 1997 2.7L manual hubs 4x4. LBJs are already replaced. I can see the UBJ is a press out/in, but removing the entire knuckle appears to be quite a job, thanks to the manual hubs.

I read this:

http://www.bajataco.com/tech/control_arms_01.html

and saw that he pressed in/out with just a puller setup, never took the knuckle out. Anyone else successful in doing this with these manual hubs?

2. Nov 23, 2014 at 5:01 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Theres no need to remove spindle/knuckle if R&R UBJ's, I think people over think the removal of them. Since they're getting replaced no need to be gentle with them for removal, I take my angle grinder with cut-off wheel & cut them in half, that gives the initial separation , then get a BMFH & a heavy punch & a couple good whacks the old ones are out & ready for the new ones, just remember to remove the big "C" clip before hand...

Products Discussed in

To Top