1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need some help on clutch replacement PLEASE

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SilverlineShockService, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Nov 23, 2014 at 6:31 PM
    SilverlineShockService

SilverlineShockService [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Tehachapi,CA
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCLB OR Taco
    Okay so I ordered a new clutch but the thing is I don't have access to a shop lift just gotta do it with Jack stands. Any any suggestion and tips on how to drop the tranny and rent install the tranny would be great. I know it's gonna be a pain but it needs to be done. Just looking for some tips on dropping the tranny the best way in my own garage. And yes I have 4x4 so I got a t case connected also... thats what I'm worried about I don't feel like taking it off and not able to get it up lol.

2. Nov 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    lift the truck, if u can get the whole truck up on ramps itd help more so than just the front. remove the shifters, driveshafts, unbolt starter, cross member and wiring harness. it try to find a piece of thick wood or steel plate about a foot or so long. try to use a ratchet strap over the trans and tcase holding this plate. that would allow your jack to have a nice platform to lift on. unbolt the bellhousing bolts and pull out the trans. make sure u replace the rear main seal since you're there. torque the flywheel and pressure plate. reinstall trans. good luck!

3. Nov 23, 2014 at 6:57 PM
    newskooler

newskooler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Shasta, Ca
    Vehicle:
    1997 ext cab base, 2012 Base Access cab, 2018 trd OR
    Mall Crawler
    This should answer a lot of questions

4. Nov 23, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    SilverlineShockService

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Tehachapi,CA
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCLB OR Taco
    Thanks guys really helps of anyone else wants to tune in it will help alot

5. Nov 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    Kiko

Kiko Member

Member:
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma 2.7 4x4
    I changed a transmission solo on a 89 4x4 pickup, I assume it is a very similar process. I did this with the truck on the ground and the transfer case attached. If you are not using a lift, leave the truck on the ground. Don't use jack stands, this would create a serious danger factor. You will be under the truck moving a lot of weight around and everything is accessible with the tires on the ground. I used a Chilton or Haynes manual to guide me through. I've only done this one time, so take my info for what it's worth.

I hope you are strong. For me, reassembly was very difficult - trying to get the spindle to slide back into the engine. When transmission and transfer case stop cooperating with you, it takes a feat of strength to get them back into position. I used a transmission jack under the tranny and placed a 2nd jack under the transfer case. Considering how heavy they are, and that the weight isn't balanced, it was very difficult for me to keep everything level. Since I didn't remove the transfer case I don't know this to be true, but considering my struggles against the weight and balance to keep things level, the extra work of removing the transfer case would of made things a lot easier. The additional weight of the transfer case hanging off on side of the transmission was by far the most difficult thing for me to deal with throughout the entire process. Maybe someone else will chime in on the benefits or negatives of removing the transfer case.

The problem I ran into with reassembly was getting the spindle all the way back into the engine. I would get it started, and then when it was 1 or 2 inches from being all the way in, it would get stuck. Rolling everything back out, repositioning, and then trying to slide it back in was when I ran into problems with the weight and balance.

After many tries, it eventually went back in. It seemed more like luck than that I learned anything along the way, it just all the sudden happened. It could have just as easily happened on my first try, but unfortunately it didn't.

From what I remember here are a couple other tips:
    When unbolting the transmission housing from the engine there are two bolts you access from above. These are in a very tight spot. I think I dropped the tranny a few inches, which tilted the motor, to get the best access to these bolts. I used a double ended wrench for both bolts.

The passenger side bolt I was able to get to with a little stretching and contorting. The driver side was more difficult. I able to get my left hand down there to hold the wrench on the bolt head, then I tied a string to the wrench which allowed my right hand to pull the wrench back and forth to loosen the bolt. It felt like some sort of circus trick, but I was limited to the tools I had on hand. A ratcheting wrench set would have made removing these two bolts a lot easier.

Lastly, it said in this in the manual I used (hopefully you have one available to you), mark the front and rear drive shafts with something (chalk, marker, a scratch), before taking them apart. These fittings need to be put back together, relative to each other, as they were before being taken apart. Also, a torque wrench is also a good idea, throughout reassembly, if you want to get everything back tightened up to specs.

All in all, a couple steps made this job a major pain in the ass. For me, it took a lot of resolve and a little ingenuity - because of my limited experience and tool chest. If your coming at this with similar limitations as me, be prepared for a battle. Depending on what is available to you (tools, experience, help, money), I would recommend you also consider finding a cheap mechanic. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  6. Nov 25, 2014 at 12:49 AM
    SilverlineShockService

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Tehachapi,CA
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCLB OR Taco
    thanks man of taking the time to write this im not that strong... but im sure i have extra hands to help me ive done alot of research and gonna tackle this early in the morning tomorrow to get the ball rolling. but I have done other things on this truck where I never done either and did it with ease. wish it wasnt so damn heavy.. lol but all in all i know i can do it. I love a challenge and love cursing at stuff that isnt going my way so im sure it will be a funny scene watching me struggle to get this done haha!:D

7. Nov 25, 2014 at 12:51 AM
    SilverlineShockService

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Tehachapi,CA
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCLB OR Taco
    if anyone lives near me here in hemet ca.. i have a 36 pack of cold ones calling your name!!! any help is wonderful!!

8. Nov 25, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    Kiko

Kiko Member

Member:
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma 2.7 4x4
    Another word of caution, be careful when removing the clutch. I didn't have the little plastic spindle that comes with the new clutch kit when I was taking everything apart. Use this spindle to hold the clutch disc in place while removing the flywheel cover. When I removed the flywheel cover the clutch was just sticking/resting against the flywheel. When I popped the clutch off, it just came dropping down. If I had been positioned wrong it would of taken a chunk out of my forehead. Inserting the spindle tool will keep the clutch from dropping unexpectedly.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  9. Nov 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM
    markmb45

markmb45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 Reg Cab 3.4, auto, e-locker
    V6,Auto, e-locker 4runner dash, seats
    Seperate the tranfer case from the trans, it will be a lot more manageable. Replace the seal between the two cases while your in there. Be sure to drain both cases before seperating. I could pull tranmissions by myself on my 85 4runner by this method.

10. Nov 27, 2014 at 4:18 PM
    SilverlineShockService

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Tehachapi,CA
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCLB OR Taco
    Okay guys I got that son of bitch replaced. One problem I'm leaking motor oil now. I believe it's from my oil pan I replaced the rear main seal but when doing that I didn't know the two bolts on the oil pan were connected to the main Seal bracket piece so it got kinda bent but replaced that gasket and the rear main. But now that pan is leaking and it pretty bad.. and I'm pissed cause I was under that truck for 2 days working my as off... my main concern is if the oil will touch the clutch some how... how much of a pain is it to replace the oil pain... do I have to take the whole front different out? Ugh I'm so sick of working on it

Products Discussed in

To Top