1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radiator Flush Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Fatherof2, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Nov 24, 2014 at 9:45 AM
    Fatherof2

Fatherof2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD
    Hi Gang,

Can anyone direct me to a post on how to flush my radiator on my 2004 V6 4DR TRD?

I looked in the StickE threads and did not see anything.

Is this a pretty simple job?

Thanks so much!

2. Nov 24, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnr1UWTEVy4

youtube has videos for just about any routine maint or repair things you might need to do

a few basics is:

the engine does not have to be cold but you don't want it more then warm or it can burn you. before taking the cap off or opening any lines on a non cold engine you need to be sure it doesn't have pressure behind it so squeeze the radiator hose and if its not hard then its not under pressure so its safe to open the system.

you are using distilled water to refill the radiator the run the engine until warm with the heater on full hot to circulate what is in the heater core as well, before completely draining the radiator again to fully dilute what remains in the engine (1 gallon) and you do this 3 times to be sure it has all been flushed out then you refill the radiator with straight full strength Toyota antifreeze. the reason you use full strength is that the engine has 1 gallon of distilled water in it and the radiator has 1 gallon of straight antifreeze so when it mixes it will have the proper 50/50 mix in it. if you have any extra straight antifreeze after rechecking and topping off the radiator after running the engine at speed on the highway for a few miles, just put whatever is left of it in the overflow jug and the radiator will draw it in as needed.

when running engine between refills with water you leave the radiator cap off the whole time so you don't have to worry about pressure buildup. when you run it you just need to be able to see the water circulating signaling the thermostat opened and you see water flowing through the radiator, once you see that you just need to let it run for 1 minute more then turn it off and drain the radiator.

it is important to note that while most youtube videos show the proper flushing method they incorrectly use premix 50/50 antifreeze to refill the radiator afterwards and by doing that end up with only a 25% antifreeze to 75% water mix when it mixes with the straight water in the block.

its very easy and just takes about an hour out of your day to do it.

be careful as antifreeze can poison pets that drink it and make kids sick (upset tummies) who get it on their hands and put hands in mouth so keep this in mind

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  3. Nov 24, 2014 at 12:28 PM
    Fatherof2

Fatherof2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD
    This is great keaker!!

Thanks so much!!

Products Discussed in

To Top