1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Conversion of manual windows to power in 03' Tacoma.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by QMEDJoe, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Nov 24, 2014 at 6:37 PM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe [OP] Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    I did a search on Google as well as this site and couldn't come up with much on conversion to power windows other than a 12' Tacoma and a 99' from another site which does me no good. I ordered the interior door panels which came off a car w/ power windows but its only the panel. It doesn't come with any other components. I ordered the 1995-04 Toyota Tacoma Window Regulator and motor for both sides from 1A Auto. I also purchased the power door lock/window switches for both sides. It does not come with any wiring harness. Being that its a manual window and lock, where can I purchase a wire harness to connect to the wires in my dash? So far, I came up with nothing in my searching. Has anybody done this in a 1st gen? if so, could you please leave a link in this thread.

Appreciate'chya !

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  2. Nov 25, 2014 at 4:19 AM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    This is all I came up with for now. I'm not sure how different the 99' interior door panel is compared to the 03'. I'm going to go to my Toyota dealership, check pricing for installation and also call the guys over at A1 and see if there is anymore info on the installation or whether they have the wiring harness that I need for installation

http://www.a1electric.com/tacoma.htm

3. Nov 25, 2014 at 4:32 AM
    buellfire

buellfire Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    NKY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma dlx 2.7 4wd extra cab
    All stock
    If I was going to tackle this project, I would try and find a totaled tacoma in a you pull and pay junkyard. (Very hard to find!) That way you could have a look at the factory wiring and relays. The bolt in stuff will be easy, however wiring may become problematic. I add a factory power seat to a Tundra a few years ago, adding factory wiring was the only challenge.

4. Nov 25, 2014 at 8:57 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    not saying if it does or doesn't, I just don't know, but the trouble is, does the truck have a plug in ready dash wiring for power windows?

everyone assumes every truck has a wiring harness with all the plugs you need for everything and they only need a wiring harness to plug in the options they add on the truck but its not always that easy in all cases.

some trucks have "basic" and "fully loaded" harness depending on the equipt package because its a lot cheaper to only build what you need and wiring is expensive so the whole question is, is the truck "plug in ready" for all accessories it might add.

if not you need to wire it yourself and that might take a lot of time and planning to "do it right" so don't take short cuts and always go with bigger wires then you think you need for safety.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  5. Nov 25, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    I did this sorta. I swapped my power window stuff to my new doors on the undamaged cab that had manual windows.

The trucks wiring harness should have all the stuff in it already. Easiest thing for you to do is find some full doors with everything in the,n it have the motor and lift mechanism as well as all the switches and wiring. Then it's an easy swap.

6. Nov 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM
    bertram31

bertram31 Member

Member:
    North Redington Beach Florida
    Vehicle:
    2000 Taco SR5 Prerunner
    Bone stock.
    This might not be very helpful for you, but I recently had to replace window regulators in both a 98 Corolla and 00 Corolla. I ordered the regulators from Autopartswarehouse and they were cheap. I also had to replace a few switches. As mentioned by keakar, if the wiring harness is not there, you will be taking on a major project. The regulators are easy to remove and mount. I would assumed that all the doors are already fabricated to accept the electric motor/regulator. Good luck with your project and keep us posted.....

7. Nov 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    My worst case scenario is that the harness will not be there and I have to drop it off at Toyota and have them do it. I have no idea what something like that would cost and being that I didnt buy the regulator and motor OEM they might not even do it. Bottom line, I will end up with power windows one way or another ! =)

Thanks guys !

Ill make sure to keep yall updated on how the conversion goes in two weeks when I get off this ship.

8. Nov 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    This is a rather easy thing to wire yourself, all you need is wire, some diodes (for if both switches are used in opposition), and a basic knowledge of how to solder. I can help if you decide to tackle the wiring yourself, I'm rather sure Toyota will just tell you that you should have bought a truck with the options you wanted.

9. Nov 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:

Thanks ! I'll let you know how it turns out. I just may take you up on it ! :D

10. Nov 25, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    I just talked to my ETO (Electronic technician officer) about this, the dude worked for NASA and is a brain with legs when it comes to electrical engineering. He told me exactly what to look for to know whether or not its plug in ready. Good news is, whether it does or it does not, it can be done. Though one is more difficult than the other the end result will be power windows in my Tacoma which will make me a very haHpPy MaHnN ! :yay:

11. Oct 10, 2018 at 10:06 PM
    mediajunkee

mediajunkee New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    Hi Joe, I'm just wondering if you ever got the answers you needed to your question? I have a 2002 Tacoma with factory manual windows and locks. I've collected all the OEM electric window, mirror and electric door locks and original door wiring harnesses from junked cars and different places to upgrade to all electric. I started to swap all the doors parts, but stopped when I couldn't find any existing factory connectors off the under-dash harness. Do you, or does anyone know if the factory under-dash harness is different for manual vs electric 2002 Tacomas? thanks! eric

12. Oct 10, 2018 at 10:26 PM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    I make power door conversion systems for these trucks. Plugs-n-plays directly to the stock OEM door harnesses.

Usually you won’t find the connectors already present in your truck for the power doors. If you do, they’re usually not wired up on the other end.

1971F3B2-0F83-42C5-92DD-C0155DA3768B.jpg 54004D5C-B2DC-46C9-9B5C-DA4254E3374B.jpg 0636E231-3D83-407B-B0A7-7BC0E7AD854C.jpg

FLBAdrian and QMEDJoe[OP] like this.
  13. Oct 11, 2018 at 1:30 PM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    Dude, I didn’t know you did this! How much for the whole kit ?

14. Oct 11, 2018 at 1:32 PM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    I haven’t done this yet. I collected all but the power door locks. @BartMaster1234 is the guy you want to talk to. I started to focus on other parts of my build and put this on the back burner. Knowing that @BartMaster1234 has a plug and play I just may go with that.

15. May 3, 2019 at 8:17 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Do you have a plug and play just for the windows?
    I’m thinking about swapping to electric as I found a 1998 tacoma with electric windows, so I can get door panels and all the motor stuff, wire harness

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    GQ7227 likes this.
  16. May 3, 2019 at 9:51 PM
    BartMaster1234

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    Flux Capacitor
    I do, I custom build my systems. Adding power locks isn’t that hard though, just a few more wires and two additional relays. No point in swapping to just power windows and no power locks.

17. May 4, 2019 at 3:17 AM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Nice, ok I have an after market power locks that were installed years ago with a remote and alarm system,
    So not sure how to tie that in.
    Anyways do you know if the SX model has the wiring harness for the windows already? Or your kit will bypass that?

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  18. May 4, 2019 at 8:26 AM
    BartMaster1234

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    Flux Capacitor
    I would ditch the aftermarket locks, but keep the alarm system. Sometimes the trucks do have the wiring present at the kick panel, but it’s a lot of work to get it to work since you have to mess with some body splice points and the integration module. Having an independent system is nice since it doesn’t affect the stock system.

19. May 4, 2019 at 12:34 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    What price are you charging for a power windows wiring harness only then?

20. May 4, 2019 at 1:17 PM
    BartMaster1234

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    Flux Capacitor
    I’d need to see your lock system to see if it would interfere with the stock one.

I say it’s best to ditch the aftermarket locks because all the wiring and the switches would be present since we would be using the stock Tacoma door harnesses and armrests.

Products Discussed in

To Top