1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heater control going bad on 98 tacoma. Advice?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by wbrigance, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Nov 25, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    wbrigance

wbrigance [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Jackson, TN
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4, Reg cab, Manual, 2.7L
    The heater control assembly is going bad. It makes a loud clacking sound when i try to turn the temperature knob. I can push really hard and turn it successfully, but that won't last long, i think. Can anyone help with ideas on replacing the whole unit or just a part? How time consuming would it be? I follow directions good, but am really slow with these type projects. I am also cheap, and want to save money as well. I would appreciate any help. God bless.

2. Nov 25, 2014 at 4:45 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    sounds like the knob is broken or stripped.

pull the knob off, it comes straight off and is just pressed onto the control.

if the knob isn't stripped then you need the control panel in the dash. its just plastic gears with metal rods and a cable that connects to the blender valve under the hood.

that said I bet its broken because the cable is jammed or the blender valve is bad and not working correctly making it way too hard to move and that's why it broke.

you can buy replacement parts at this website fairly cheap to fix just about anything.

Products Discussed in

To Top