1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rattling noises

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Scoobarooo, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Nov 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    Scoobarooo

Scoobarooo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Brooksville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 DCSB TRD OR
    3" OME/Bilstein, Retrofits, Custom Bed rack/Toolbox, Amsoil Everything, tons of others.
    I've got a rattle in my dash and another rattle outside somewhere in the right front of my truck. I'm thinking maybe exhaust or my skid plate. Any ideas?

2. Nov 28, 2014 at 5:34 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    The skid should be easy to diagnose, just get under there. Why would exhaust make noise in the front right? I have similar rattles, maybe see if the glove compartment is all tightened correctly or where you would change the cabin air filter. Good luck and keep us updated

3. Nov 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    Scoobarooo

Scoobarooo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Brooksville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 DCSB TRD OR
    3" OME/Bilstein, Retrofits, Custom Bed rack/Toolbox, Amsoil Everything, tons of others.
    Well, a few months ago I found a metal bracket just hanging onto the exhaust. I cranked it though. As far as the skid plate goes, I tightened that 2 months ago. I'm just asking questions before I get under there. Its definitively metal on metal.

4. Nov 28, 2014 at 11:33 PM
    vern650

vern650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brandon
    hyrum, ut
    Vehicle:
    '97 4x4 taco xtra cab 3rz/5spd
    HBS leveling kit, 31x10.50 mudders, header/imco exhaust, rear billies, LR ucas, home brewed onboard air, cb radio
    on my '97 my dash rattle is the defrost vent rattling in the dash, I learned that by sticking a finger in there when it was rattling and putting pressure on it and it stopped. As to the exhaust rattle it could be as you said a loose bracket or heatshield on the cat. or somethin along those lines. My cat. itself actually makes a very loud metal on metal rattle, I'm pretty sure that means something's broke loose inside it but I can live with it as long as it will pass emissions.

5. Nov 29, 2014 at 11:19 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    the under the hood rattle could be the exhaust manifold heat shield. check for loose bolts holding it or maybe the shield has cracks in it. very common for this to be an issue

the inside rattle could just be stuff in the glove box, I had a spare light bulb rattling against a tire gage and it took me a month to figure it out

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  6. Nov 29, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    Yfz 450

Yfz 450 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rockland ny
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4
    I have a similar rattle from out side near the front right and I found mine to be my cat. Check that also

Products Discussed in

To Top