Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Silver 02 Taco: Black or Silver Wheels?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
mmjcarr is on a distinguished road

mmjcarr's Tacoma Gallery
Silver 02 Taco: Black or Silver Wheels?

What's up?

I have some questions regarding wheels, tires and a few other mods I am considering. Please don't mistake me for being dumb but I am. Especially, regarding truck mods, etc....

This is my truck:

2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 PreRunner (SILVER)
DoubleCab
2WD
4 Cylinder

Yes, it's a 2WD in Minnesota. I know it's not ideal but I relocated from California where the truck was perfect. I've considered selling it or trading it in and just couldn't do it. I love this truck so I'm going to do whatever I can to get the best performance in the snow. Considering, it's 2WD (rear wheel) it doesn't do that bad with a couple of sand bags in the back.

Currently, the only aftermarket mods are a spray on bed-liner, chrome running boards and a ARE Tonneau Cover.

However, I am considering the following......
  1. Tires and Wheels: I'm thinking about the Enkei RT6 with BF Goodrich All Terrain TAs but I haven't decided whether or not to go with silver or black wheels. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Will aftermarket wheels rust because of the severe weather, road salt, etc....
  2. Better shock absorbers: Can someone suggest some good shocks that would give me a better ride and also support me adding about 180 lbs of sandbags in the winter?
  3. If anyone has any additional tips or tricks to get better performance from a 2WD in harsh winter conditions please let me know.
  4. High Performance Breaks: Should I consider a higher performing break system? rotors? etc....
If anyone can provide some feedback and or suggestions it would be much appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you all soon!

Minnesota Mike
Old 04-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
HoofHearted
HARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: McLovin
HARDSHELLTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my black wheels on silver truck. Hope it helps!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Zombie Killer
Robbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to all

Air Force:
Robbsolid's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDSHELLTACO View Post
Here is my black wheels on silver truck. Hope it helps!
nice truck
Old 04-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
here are mine....painted stock wheels...........

i decided to paint mine rustoleum hammered black...........looks good, way cheaper than new wheels, easy to touch up too.

as for shocks.........go with a set of bilstein 5100's..........and keep the fronts at stock height if you dont want any lift.....they ride tons better than the stock shocks.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
2004Taco will become famous soon enough

2004Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 2004Taco Send a message via Yahoo to 2004Taco
heres my truck
Attached Thumbnails
Silver 02 Taco: Black or Silver Wheels?-taco3.jpg  
Old 04-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
I know I am in the minority, but have never been a fan of black wheels on a light colored vehicle, be it silver or white...

However, argent wheels on silver are, IMHO, the best looking thing out there...I don't know if anyone makes argent wheels for Tacomas, but if they did, hmmm...sorry for the Jeep photo, but it gives you the idea of argent wheels on a silver truck...

Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #7

mmjcarr's Tacoma Gallery
Wink bilstein 5100's?? Ride Height Adjustable? or plain 5100 Series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
here are mine....painted stock wheels...........

i decided to paint mine rustoleum hammered black...........looks good, way cheaper than new wheels, easy to touch up too.

as for shocks.........go with a set of bilstein 5100's..........and keep the fronts at stock height if you dont want any lift.....they ride tons better than the stock shocks.
Thank you Sir! One question though...

bilstein 5100's?? Ride Height Adjustable? or plain 5100 Series?

Talk to you soon!

MC
Old 04-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold

22b22's Tacoma Gallery
Nice look Will. Hmmmm... gonna pull the side steps off this week when the roll-up and hitch get here. Maybe paint the wheels too...
Old 04-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #9

mmjcarr's Tacoma Gallery
Hey - What if I did a mixed wheel. Both silver and black. I really like these ones......

Any thoughts?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #10

mmjcarr's Tacoma Gallery
What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbsolid View Post
nice truck
Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #11
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjcarr View Post
Thank you Sir! One question though...

bilstein 5100's?? Ride Height Adjustable? or plain 5100 Series?

Talk to you soon!

MC
well......the 5100's for the front are adjustable, the rears are not......and they ride soooo much better than stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22b22 View Post
Nice look Will. Hmmmm... gonna pull the side steps off this week when the roll-up and hitch get here. Maybe paint the wheels too...
thanks man.......and if you paint the wheels.....post pics.

Quote:
those wheels look really good!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #12

mmjcarr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
well......the 5100's for the front are adjustable, the rears are not......and they ride soooo much better than stock.

those wheels look really good!!!
I think so too. If the truck in your banner is yours then we have the same truck. MC
Old 04-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #13

Quote:
I think so too. If the truck in your banner is yours then we have the same truck. MC
yep......thats my truck!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #14
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Hey - What if I did a mixed wheel. Both silver and black. I really like these ones......

Any thoughts?
Those are very good looking wheels

I once painted a set of stock Toyota steelies with a dark metallic gray wheel paint with several coats of clear on top...those came out really good looking also. Those were on a white '88 4x4 pickup, and looked very good also.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #15
glennv is on a distinguished road
glennv's Tacoma Gallery
I'm partial to the Argent wheels as well. I have AEVs on my Wrangler but they're painted so I pull them off to go wheeling. They would get trashed.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #16
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
1. on the wheels...get what YOU like. screw everybody else
2. i have bilstein 5100's on my second gen.--much improved ride
3. best suggestion i can make for improved traction would be studded tires. aside from studs, i've heard the Blizzak winter tires are awesome in the snow & ice.
4. i have no experience with the 1st gen. brakes, but i would like to get a set of stainless front brake lines for my truck.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #17
jlwilsonjr is on a distinguished road
jlwilsonjr's Tacoma Gallery
Doing Research as Well

I'm currently doing the same research and did not want to start another thread so I would appreciate any info on this setup. Also keep posting pics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbsolid View Post
nice truck
Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #18
josh.. is on a distinguished road
josh..'s Tacoma Gallery
Older picture, but you get the idea. I hate the wheels and plan on switching to black ones soon.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #19
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Same here^^^ Im sick of my wheels and want to go with a black wheel with accents. I really like ProComp's 7105's But just wish It came in a 16.

Heres my truck now.