1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I Need Shocks??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by monoman, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Apr 27, 2009 at 3:36 PM
    monoman

monoman [OP] Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    :rolleyes:So lately I've noticed that my front tires have started to wear funny on the inside part of the tread. (Cupping) Mostly on the left inside. I'm not sure, but could this be due to bad shocks, or front end alignment, or??:confused: Seems to shake just a little bit on the freeway around 60 MPH. I have about 30,000 miles on the tires (BFG AT's & I rotate them every 5000 miles & still a lot of tread left). I have no lift, & 70,000 miles on the factory shocks. I've wheeled maybe a few times a year, (had it 4 years now) basic 4X4ing, nothing real serious, but I have driven out in Death Valley for a few hundred miles, & that takes a toll on shocks I know. Should I replace the shocks first before anything else? I would like to keep it stock, at least till I pay off this thing. (Few more years) I'm thinking about getting Bilstiens all around, but not sure which ones to get?? Thoughts??

Thanks guys!:D

2. Apr 27, 2009 at 3:37 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I would do both as it seems to be time; replace the struts then get it aligned.

3. Apr 27, 2009 at 3:56 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    X2

4. Apr 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    You'll need the allignment with new shocks anyway, so don't bother getting an allignment just to see what's wrong. If you think it's the shocks, there is an easy way to tell.

Go to the front or back of the truck--whichever you want to test--and get the truck rocking. Push on the truck to get it rocking as hard as you can without causing body damage. Then, when the truck is really rocking on the springs, stop and watch. If the truck goes back to its normal ride position as soon as you stop pushing it around, the shocks are good. If not, they're bad.

The vibrating could also be from bad steering rack bushings. Have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you watch the rack. If it moves in its mounts, then they need to be replaced too.

5. Apr 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    Oh, a wheel balance could do wonders also, I had a bad vibration in my truck, tires were old and needed replaced, but a buddy of mine works at a tire shop and balanced the tires and I got a few more miles out of them

Products Discussed in

To Top