Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do I Need Shocks??

Old 04-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Do I Need Shocks??

So lately I've noticed that my front tires have started to wear funny on the inside part of the tread. (Cupping) Mostly on the left inside. I'm not sure, but could this be due to bad shocks, or front end alignment, or?? Seems to shake just a little bit on the freeway around 60 MPH. I have about 30,000 miles on the tires (BFG AT's & I rotate them every 5000 miles & still a lot of tread left). I have no lift, & 70,000 miles on the factory shocks. I've wheeled maybe a few times a year, (had it 4 years now) basic 4X4ing, nothing real serious, but I have driven out in Death Valley for a few hundred miles, & that takes a toll on shocks I know. Should I replace the shocks first before anything else? I would like to keep it stock, at least till I pay off this thing. (Few more years) I'm thinking about getting Bilstiens all around, but not sure which ones to get?? Thoughts??

Thanks guys!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I would do both as it seems to be time; replace the struts then get it aligned.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
I would do both as it seems to be time; replace the struts then get it aligned.
X2
Old 04-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
The Cooler King
Dustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of light

Dustin03's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Dustin03
You'll need the allignment with new shocks anyway, so don't bother getting an allignment just to see what's wrong. If you think it's the shocks, there is an easy way to tell.

Go to the front or back of the truck--whichever you want to test--and get the truck rocking. Push on the truck to get it rocking as hard as you can without causing body damage. Then, when the truck is really rocking on the springs, stop and watch. If the truck goes back to its normal ride position as soon as you stop pushing it around, the shocks are good. If not, they're bad.

The vibrating could also be from bad steering rack bushings. Have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you watch the rack. If it moves in its mounts, then they need to be replaced too.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, a wheel balance could do wonders also, I had a bad vibration in my truck, tires were old and needed replaced, but a buddy of mine works at a tire shop and balanced the tires and I got a few more miles out of them