1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pulley noise

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Combatman, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Dec 5, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    Combatman

Combatman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sioux Falls sd
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 Manual
    31" Wrangler tires
    So for a while now I have had a light metallic gritty airy noise (I know I'm a great descriptive writer lol) and I have finally narrowed it down to one of these two pulleys at the bottom passenger side of the engine. I was wondering:

What pulleys are these?

How can I tell which on is doing it?

And is one more likely to fail than the other?

Here is the picture:d983e98e61c1493349c98f215994afd6_6ee792f3fe088f4752edee1f4201f010a07b553a.jpg

2. Dec 5, 2014 at 8:15 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    its called an idler pulley and its the one on the right , you may not even need to loosen the belt to check it so just reach in and try to wiggle it, if it wiggles at all (tilting left, right, up, down, then its bad. even if its not loose it might be bad so slip the belt off and spin it and you will hear if it has bad bearings. (it should not rumble)

they run about $20 each and I suggest you change both at the same time since they usually go out about the same mileages. the other one is up top for the power steering pump. (the alternator/water pump belt is the only thing that doesn't have an idler pulley on it)

I found the best deal where I got mine here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181312449472?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

there are ways to just replace the bearing inside it to save about half price but only if you still have the original stock idler pulleys because aftermarket ones you cant replace the bearings in. in my mind spend the extra money to get a shiny new pulley and bearing together is the smarter way.

when you go to change them, just be careful to loosen the locking nut on the pulley BEFORE you try to turn the adjustment screw. quite a few guys broke stuff the first time not realizing they needed to do that. (naturally you can't test for loose wobble if you already loosened them)

if you just aren't sure about the condition take it completely off and hold it in your hand to check it but the bearings are sealed and only have a small amount of grease inside so they wear out just like fan belts over time so they only last about 35k-50k miles in most cases but sometimes can go 100k miles.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    josh1992 likes this.
  3. Dec 5, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    wcp0611

wcp0611 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Rockvale, TN
    Vehicle:
    wcp0611@gmail.com
    Grey wire and keyless entry. I like stock.
    Like previous post stated, it's probably your idler pulley - one of the right. If it only happens when you have the AC or defrost on, then it's the one on the left. Either way, to correct said issue, release tension on that belt and take it off those two pulleys. Next, examine the idler pulley. Turn it by hand and feel for scratching as it turns or see if it has wobble to it as it turns. Just rattle it and see if it has give. Any give at all and that is your problem. I'm a big fan of just replacing the bearing in the pulley to save money. I haven't done it in a few years so I don't remember what size bearing it takes, but once the pulley is off the truck, it takes about five minutes to swap out the bearing and reinstall.

If that idler seems fine, I'd still swap bearings while you have it loose from the belt esp if you don't know its age or last time of replacement.

If that idler is not the issue, then it's either your AC clutch bearing or your AC compressor bearing. I've never had to replace my compressor, so I've never removed it or the pulleys. I don't know if they come off or are built onto the AC shaft so that you have to replace the whole compressor. Someone else can probably chime in on whether you can replace the AC clutch bearing alone or the compressor shaft bearing on these.

nagorb likes this.
  4. Dec 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Yup, odds are it's the idler pulley. Cheap, easy fix. My lower one went out (started chirping and squealing, but not a slipping belt kind of squeal). Easy access to the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley from under the truck.

Use a wrench to get the tensioner pulley to twist (spring loaded) until you can put a small allen wrench through the hole in it and into the hole in the engine block. This keeps tension off your belt and keeps it out of the way. With the belt loose, take off the idler pulley and replace with new. Make sure your belt is on straight on all the pulleys again, and release the tensioner pulley opposite of how you pushed it out of the way. Done.

5. Dec 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    Combatman

Combatman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sioux Falls sd
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 Manual
    31" Wrangler tires
    Well I replaced the bearing in that pulley and it quit making noise. But I can still wiggle the pulley even with tension on it. Is that normal?

I don't want to ruin this brand new bearing.

6. Dec 9, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Yes, they have more "wiggle" than one would suspect. On my first go around I replaced the squeaky factory bearing with a $5 Chinese one that wiggled even more but didn't squeak. I replaced that with a quality SKF bearing that was only slightly tighter than the bad factory bearing.

7. Dec 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    maybe the bearing has the wrong inside diameter or the shaft it mounts on is worn.

I replaced the whole pulley on both of mine and its tight as a tick and has no movement at all to it.

you may have been better served to just buy the new pulley as first advised rather then try to save $10

are you sure you tightened everything because if it has movement you will have issues with it in the future but it might last you a year before it fails

8. Jul 28, 2019 at 3:31 PM
    Mitacoma03

Mitacoma03 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 2x4
    Anyone knows where I can buy the 2 OEM idler pulleys online?
    I want to replace both of them due to the noise one of them is making.

Also need to replace spark plugs as the engine is sputtering. Have never changed them. It’s a 2003 Tacoma 2.4liter gasoline. I want to put in the iridium type plugs. Please advise.

9. Jul 28, 2019 at 3:40 PM
    303tacoma

303tacoma Bad Karma is a Bitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Sw Denver Concrete Jungle
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD AC 4th gen Rav4 Platinum
    ICONS Front & extended Rears DAKARS LR UCAS Wheelers Super Bumps F/R Homersoshi & Bumper insert, Ultra Gauge, Wet Okole seat covers, AFE air filter, Truxedo tonneau cover, LED White Cluster swap by yosh2000, Audio upgrade, ECGS Bushing, rcbs204 Lighted 4x4switch, Bullaculla trailer harness relocate bracket SOS Concepts IFS skid & sliders Anti- Dark RedLine Hood Struts Matt Gecko Bed Lights BHLM Depo Tailights Fog light anytime mod ABS cancel mod Rear diff breather mod Brake light 35watt mod Relentless u bolt flip Mobtown Recovery Bar Sound deadener doors rear wall
    Pm @gunny1005
    Camelback
    That’s where I got mine

10. Jul 28, 2019 at 3:44 PM
    303tacoma

303tacoma Bad Karma is a Bitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Sw Denver Concrete Jungle
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD AC 4th gen Rav4 Platinum
    ICONS Front & extended Rears DAKARS LR UCAS Wheelers Super Bumps F/R Homersoshi & Bumper insert, Ultra Gauge, Wet Okole seat covers, AFE air filter, Truxedo tonneau cover, LED White Cluster swap by yosh2000, Audio upgrade, ECGS Bushing, rcbs204 Lighted 4x4switch, Bullaculla trailer harness relocate bracket SOS Concepts IFS skid & sliders Anti- Dark RedLine Hood Struts Matt Gecko Bed Lights BHLM Depo Tailights Fog light anytime mod ABS cancel mod Rear diff breather mod Brake light 35watt mod Relentless u bolt flip Mobtown Recovery Bar Sound deadener doors rear wall
  11. Jul 29, 2019 at 6:07 AM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    Try a motorcycle shop. That's where I bought mine, for $8... about 40k miles ago (and it is still silent).

12. Aug 2, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    Grand dude

Grand dude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    lehigh valley, PA.
    Vehicle:
    2016 trd or dcsb & 2002 trdor exclb
    cool stickers and a baseball card With clothes pin, sounds awesome ! wicked
    need a little help here gang ……………………..
    im changing out my idler pulley, 2002 v6 w/air
    I got the pulley mounting nut loose , I loosened the tensioner screw, slipped off the belt , then removed the pulley mounting nut.....
    now for the life of me I cant remove the freaking old pulley ! wth am I doing wrong ? is it threaded on ? should I try to pop it with a ball joint fork ?

13. Aug 2, 2019 at 7:16 PM
    Dhearic

Dhearic Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    97 4X4 3.4L Auto
    Anyone have a source for the power steering pulley that isn't $140 from camelback? The pulleys listed on rockauto are nothing like the power steering pulley on my truck. part <--- this is the pulley I have currently on my truck. About 4-5 inches across and has 4 holes in it. Rockauto has the ac idler pulley listed for both the ac and the power steering but I'm not sure how that can be right :confused:

14. Aug 2, 2019 at 8:42 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    if you email gates @ APAteam@gates.com they will send you a free serpentine belt checker tool.

15. Aug 3, 2019 at 2:05 PM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    The pulley is not threaded on. Perhaps your pulley has a bit of rust between it and its shaft? Try using a puller on it, I think there is enough room. And it won't take much of a puller at that. ;)

Grand dude likes this.
  16. Aug 3, 2019 at 5:25 PM
    pulldo

pulldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    houston, texas
    Vehicle:
    95 dlx, 2.7l, 4wd, 5 spd.
    I haven't done a taco pulley yet, but on lawn mower decks, nissan's, and a bunch of other pulleys, they're all built about the same,,,, I'll separate the two halves and press the bearing out and go get one from a bearing shop that matches the same measurements , id and od and thickness, sealed or open bearing,,, and press that dude back together or however it comes apart. I'll be doing mine one day it's starting to make a little racket.

17. Aug 22, 2019 at 4:57 AM
    OldGold 96

OldGold 96 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BG
    Vehicle:
    1996 Gold Tacoma 4x4
    Anybody got a part number for the bearing in idler pulley for the power steering pump on a 96 2.7l . I’ve seen a good bit about the AC idler (6301 bearing) but not much about power steering idler bearing, they want 230 for a new bracket and all at Toyota (not happening) and the one at the parts store was not the right one of course.

18. Aug 22, 2019 at 5:42 AM
    pulldo

pulldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    houston, texas
    Vehicle:
    95 dlx, 2.7l, 4wd, 5 spd.
    Since you have to pull the bearing to replace it, can't you carry it to your local bearing store, and have them match it. If their worth their salt they'll measure with calipers and look up the dimensions for the particular bearing.

skeezix likes this.
  19. Aug 22, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    OldGold 96

OldGold 96 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BG
    Vehicle:
    1996 Gold Tacoma 4x4
    Yea I could if I had a competent parts store,I
    I live in BFE, I was trying to cut them out of the equation by seeing if anybody else had already done this so I could order it. Also I drive her daily and am trying to avoid taking it off for the 4th time until I get the right bearing.

skeezix likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top