1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 3.4L plug wire question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 02CrazyTaco, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Dec 10, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    02CrazyTaco

02CrazyTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 DC
    AFE Dry Pro Filter
    Forgive my newb-ism, but I was at the local Toyota picking up my new cup holder tabs and asked about plugs and wires for the truck. I was told my truck actually doesn't have "plug wires"? I've seen write ups for changing them and have seen what appear to be plug wires in my engine bay. WTF am I missing?:confused: Planning on sticking with the stock copper NGKs since I'm reading that's the way to go. Also if I do indeed have plug wires, any suggestions on the best place/price to find the good stuff?

Thanks all!

2. Dec 10, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    newer trucks have a simple wire that plugs into what looks like the spark plug boot but it has a coil built inside it and its an all-in-one unit so you have one coil for each plug.

it "almost" never wears out or needs replacing and its a much better system then coil packs and spark plug wires, so all you even need is plugs

3. Dec 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM
    02CrazyTaco

02CrazyTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 DC
    AFE Dry Pro Filter
    Gotcha! Thanks for the response. I had been reading some threads trying to find a more clear answer. My experience at the dealership the other night was less than desirable. Talking to some of the techs there made me kind of question whether they really knew what my truck had and/or needed. I had to show them a thread from here with part numbers in it to get the cup holder tabs. I called at first and they told me I had to order the whole damn console! Even the guy at the counter when I went in tried to tell me the same thing.

4. Dec 10, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    02CrazyTaco

02CrazyTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 DC
    AFE Dry Pro Filter
    Thanks again for the knowledge! Those blue wires, NGKs? I was gonna go with fresh OEMs and the standard copper dual tip plugs. Anything better?

5. Dec 10, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    02CrazyTaco

02CrazyTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 DC
    AFE Dry Pro Filter

Works for me! The help has been appreciated!

Products Discussed in

To Top