1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP PLEASE!! Can a bad clutch/flywheel throw a P0304?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by beefsteak, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Dec 15, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    beefsteak

beefsteak [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    Grey Wire mod, Eibach and bilstein 5100s all around, Alcan leafsprings, tundra brake swap with steel lines, loose steering column weld mod, keyless/alarm mod
    Hi guys, I'm needing your expert help. I took my truck mudding about a month ago (prolly won't go again cause of all the headaches). I have a 3.4L extended 4WD tacoma TRD with around 175K miles with 33in tires.

On the way back from mudding, the stock alternator died from all the mud. So I replaced it with 1995 cadillac deville alternator pushing 140 amps. When I took it for a test run, I was showing 14.3 amps constant...but I heard a terrible squealing noise that was constant and I thought it was a loose belt or misaligned belt b/c the cadillac and after messing with it for a few hours with no improvement, I used a stethoscope, I heard grinding probably from mud getting in there on the lower tensioner pulley and I replaced that. The noise was still there.

I finally figured out that the noise went away when I pressed in the clutch and determined that the cause of it all was probably the throwout bearing/fork for my clutch and probably mud getting in there and possibly scraping against the flywheel. Anyway, since it's my only vehicle, I continued to drive on it for a few hundred more miles and the noise disappeared. I know I need to replace my clutch soon anyway due to mileage, but I didn't experience any slipping going up hills or anything like that, so I wasn't in a big rush to change the clutch and flywheel especially cause it's cold.

So about 800 miles later after replacing my alternator, I get this shudder while I drive. Felt like I was driving on a flat, so I pulled over...but the shudder was still there at a stop in neutral and I didn't have a flat tire. At that point, I thought it was my clutch finally dying and slipping all over the flywheel. I drive about 5 more miles and get home. The next morning I start up my truck and I get a CEL of P0304. I reset it, and the light hasn't come back but I've only driven it another 5 miles, but it definitely still shudders, so I don't want to drive on it. I'm pretty sure it's misfiring.

I put a stethascope on the the 4th cylinder fuel injector and can hear it clicking fine. I haven't had time to pull the the spark plug and check the wire yet, but I'm I'll do that next. I changed my spark plugs and those wires and timing belt/waterpump around 155k miles.

I'm wondering if there's any chance that something going wrong with the clutch affecting the flywheel can affect the crank position sensor and cause a misfire which is throwing the p0304...or you think that the mud just screwed something else up? Or could running constantly at higher voltage from the more powerful alternator have screwed something up there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I tear my truck apart

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Dec 16, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    beefsteak

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    Grey Wire mod, Eibach and bilstein 5100s all around, Alcan leafsprings, tundra brake swap with steel lines, loose steering column weld mod, keyless/alarm mod
    anybody?

3. Dec 16, 2014 at 6:55 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I find it difficult to think that a bad clutch would cause a misfire code at idle, stopped. Not that I would say impossible, but more improbable. The thing I would suggest is the check the plugs and wires before you do anything else.

4. Dec 17, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    beefsteak

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    K thanks. I really hope so, I'll try that first, it's just weird that the clutch seemed bad then this happened with the misfire and I had just changed the plugs and wires around 20k miles ago is all.

5. Dec 17, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    68dave

68dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Baltimore/WV mountains
    Vehicle:
    $500.00 project 04 TRD 4x4 Lifted 4runner Stock Tacoma TRD Lifted 94 FZJ80 Stock 95 FZJ80
    Toytec Boss kit & OME leafs, 231mm tundra brakes SCS wheels...
    Misfire code could also be a fuel issue. Faulty cyl. #4 injector?

6. Dec 20, 2014 at 7:05 PM
    beefsteak

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    Yeah it's possible, not sure how to get to it yet cause cylinder 4 injector is hidden under there. I stuck the stethoscope in there and could hear it clicking though.

7. Dec 20, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Solenoids can click, but still not be working. Just food for thought.

8. Dec 21, 2014 at 12:50 AM
    beefsteak

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    To get to it, I gotta remove the plenum and all that stuff on top? is there any easy way to check it? I swapped the wires out and put in a new spark plug but I still throwing a p0304. Next on the list is the fuel injector... My clutch is really bad though. The shudder stops when I press the clutch in though.

Products Discussed in

To Top