Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Scangauge stopped working in 95

Old 12-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
allenfab is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
allenfab's Tacoma Gallery
Scangauge stopped working in 95

I pulled my Scangauge 2 out of my 06 Tundra and put it in my 95 Tacoma with the 3.4 and it worked with no issues. Now, fast forward after driving a couple hundred miles... it stopped working. The screen went completely blank while driving, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it said connecting for a minute and started working fine. Then, the same thing happened where it went blank.

Unplugged and plugged it back in a few more times and it would say connecting but it would never connect, and it would go blank (I guess it could be like a sleep mode). I tried all of the "force" codes in the manual but nothing worked. I installed it back in my Tundra and it worked and continues to work flawlessly.

Anybody have issues like this? I am at a loss... I really want it to work for the tachometer reading and to check and clear codes if and when they appear....
Old 12-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
I would try it in any other vehicle, see if it goes to sleep in other rides first.

I've had my SGII in 5-6 different vehicles and have not had that problem, and I will freely admit that I treat it pretty rough.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Riding a 97 Taco
97TacoNM is just really nice97TacoNM is just really nice97TacoNM is just really nice97TacoNM is just really nice

Name: Jim
97TacoNM's Tacoma Gallery
That would make me wonder if your OBD port on the Taco has something odd with it. Drop into AutoZone and see if their Actron will connect no problem. Isolate that port from the tool.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:42 AM   #4
Wheeler in Training
Speedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zane
Speedytech7's Tacoma Gallery
My UltraGauge works great in my 95, but sometimes it takes up to a minute to realize it needs to wake up when the truck is fired up and it won't go to sleep immediately either. I wonder if the scheduling of the pre 96 OBDII standard messes with it a bit. Technically OBDII wasn't required or fully defined until the 1996 model year.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
Riding a 97 Taco
97TacoNM is just really nice97TacoNM is just really nice97TacoNM is just really nice97TacoNM is just really nice

http://pinoutsguide.com/CarElectroni...c_pinout.shtml

According to this site, the '95 uses protocol VPW J1850, which the SG II states it natively reads. But maybe there is a pinout difference in the '95, that is being used in a proprietary manner (meaning they are using a pin to transmit their own data, and the reader is flubbing up). I'd go to the SGII site and search for VPW J1850 and see what you come back with.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TacoNM View Post
That would make me wonder if your OBD port on the Taco has something odd with it. Drop into AutoZone and see if their Actron will connect no problem. Isolate that port from the tool.
I forgot to mention that the truck was sunk by the previous owner, so I think water might have reached at least up to the OBD2 port and may have caused some corrosion issues which could be making it behave oddly. I have yet to check it though.

It has been working flawlessly in my Tundra ever since... so I know the scangauge and the cord itself are in working order.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
Riding a 97 Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenfab View Post
I forgot to mention that the truck was sunk by the previous owner, so I think water might have reached at least up to the OBD2 port and may have caused some corrosion issues which could be making it behave oddly. I have yet to check it though.

It has been working flawlessly in my Tundra ever since... so I know the scangauge and the cord itself are in working order.
Aha! Isolated variables - all fingers pointing at the '95's port. Considering it was soaked, could be anywhere in the electrical connection. Be interesting to trace the port back to the computer and look for any damage
Old 12-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
MikeZ is on a distinguished road
MikeZ's Tacoma Gallery
Reading through this it sounds like it could be a bad fuse for the obd2 port.

http://www.yotatech.com/f132/dead-obd2-port-248225/
Old 12-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #9

Checked the fuse and it was still good. Even swapped it out anyway....

I did however look closer at the port and noticed a plastic piece on top of the port was not all the way clicked in, so I clicked it back to where it was supposed to be and I noticed the pins inside the port moved and were pushed back down... where they were supposed to be. So I hooked my scangauge back up and what do you know.... it is working again. I decided to put a zip tie around the scangauge plug around the entire OBD2 port to hold everything together tight, how it should be.

I will drive it around some more and see if it continues to work. I am guessing I have solved the issue.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
Riding a 97 Taco

Nice catch! Great feeling when you figure it out, right?
Old 12-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TacoNM View Post
Nice catch! Great feeling when you figure it out, right?
Absolutely. It worked fine on my short drive today so I am guessing that's what it was. Now just to find a decent spot to mount it.

Thanks to all that chimed in