Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

help narrow my choices please (bilstein 4600, 5100) 2002 tacoma

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Dave21ish [OP] Dave21ish is offline
Junior Member
Dave21ish is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jul 2014, #133088
Gender: Male
Posts: 7
Dave21ish's Tacoma Gallery
help narrow my choices please (bilstein 4600, 5100) 2002 tacoma

from my research i have concluded :

bilstein 4600 ( i can use my current springs and spacer lift with and go)

bilstein 5100 ( must do a proper lift, get extended springs ($180) )

i must get a drop diff kit no matter what lift i get (spacer or spring)


so i am wondering.. has anyone ran the 5100 with stock or normal type springs. what things would i need to run the 5100's. can i go around buying the springs? how much would it cost to get the proper setup done?

my budget for the front isnt too much... so the 4600 is looking more appealing considering i was told my spacer lift would work good with them.

would spacer lift work with 5100?





SORRY IF THIS IS ANNOYING. I ALMOST FIGURED IT OUT!

advice from 5100 owners 1st gen,
2002 tacoma.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
SnowroxKT's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Dec 2011, #68604
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,640
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave21ish View Post
from my research i have concluded :

bilstein 4600 ( i can use my current springs and spacer lift with and go)

bilstein 5100 ( must do a proper lift, get extended springs ($180) )

i must get a drop diff kit no matter what lift i get (spacer or spring)


so i am wondering.. has anyone ran the 5100 with stock or normal type springs. what things would i need to run the 5100's. can i go around buying the springs? how much would it cost to get the proper setup done?

my budget for the front isnt too much... so the 4600 is looking more appealing considering i was told my spacer lift would work good with them.

would spacer lift work with 5100?

SORRY IF THIS IS ANNOYING. I ALMOST FIGURED IT OUT!
The advantage of the 5100's is that you don't need a spacer... You can preload the spring on a few settings ( something like 0, .85, 1.5, 2.5) with factory springs.

You can upgrade your springs, but I would recommend the OME Nitrocharger shock if you want to use the OME springs.

And don't do the diff drop if you plan to offroad, it lowers the differential making it easier to snag on things.


So in short my reccommendation is:
buy 5100's (you can preload the spring for lift if you want)
dont buy spacers
dont buy diff drop
use stock springs.

That is a pretty cheap way to go about it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
Dave21ish [OP] Dave21ish is offline
Junior Member
Dave21ish is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jul 2014, #133088
Gender: Male
Posts: 7
Dave21ish's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowroxKT View Post
The advantage of the 5100's is that you don't need a spacer... You can preload the spring on a few settings ( something like 0, .85, 1.5, 2.5) with factory springs.

You can upgrade your springs, but I would recommend the OME Nitrocharger shock if you want to use the OME springs.

And don't do the diff drop if you plan to offroad, it lowers the differential making it easier to snag on things.


So in short my reccommendation is:
buy 5100's (you can preload the spring for lift if you want)
dont buy spacers
dont buy diff drop
use stock springs.

That is a pretty cheap way to go about it.
i heard 5100's have problems blowing out the cv boot, especially if no diff drop is done?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Norton's Avatar
Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA, SAF
Name: Steve
Joined: Mar 2011, #52729
Location: Monument, CO
Gender: Guy
Posts: 1,896
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave21ish View Post
i heard 5100's have problems blowing out the cv boot, especially if no diff drop is done?
5100s don't cause CV boot issues but boot angle, caused by lift, MAY. Lifting less than 3", you shouldn't need a diff drop. 5100s for First Gen trucks can be set to provide 0", 1.25", or 2.5" of (pre-loaded front coil) lift.

If you haven't already done so, I recommend you spend some time in the Suspension forum. There's a LOT of great info/advice there, especially in the Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide and Suspension Lift Info stickies.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vibration Issue w/Bilstein 4600 & 5100 Shocks DMW7243 Suspension 4 11-05-2014 12:55 PM
Bilstein 4600 vs Bilstein 5100 vs Rancho RS5000 on Stock 08 Sboattaco Suspension 15 10-20-2014 02:02 PM
Bilstein 5100's vs 4600's warren_454 1st Gen. Tacomas 3 06-05-2014 02:42 PM
2002 Tacoma Prerunner Front Lift, Bilstein 5100 Levi12345 1st Gen. Tacomas 8 05-16-2013 02:49 PM
Bilstein 4600 versus Bilstein 5100 wolftree Suspension 5 09-18-2012 06:51 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.