1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EFI Relay GOOD but loud buzzing.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CraigPyzel, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Dec 16, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    CraigPyzel

CraigPyzel [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Stock
    I'm in a bad place right now with my 2001 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4 L Manual 5 speed. Electrical issues from what I can tell.
    Problem is a loud buzzing coming from the EFI relay in the engine fuse box. Figured out that it wasn't the EFI relay. Tested it with couple of new 12v EFI relays and it is not the relay. That would be too easy. Engine cranks but no start and still the loud buzzing from the relay. Found no spark in spark plugs. I can hear the fuel pump fire up just fine. So now im checking for shorts and I am having the worst time ever with this. I would like to know from anyone that might have a better idea than a short somewhere in that line because I cant seem to find one. All the relays are good in the fuse boxes. Wondering if it may be my onboard computer? Any and all help will be accepted. Thanks guys ill let everyone know if I fix it.

2. Dec 27, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    CraigPyzel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Many sensors in the ignition system. Found out the buzzing goes away when I unplug the igniter. Next is to work down im going to check the coils already checked the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors and they are good.

3. Apr 4, 2015 at 9:56 AM
    CraigPyzel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Ok so if anyone has this happen to them with the loud buzzing of a relay but still works. Finally found the issue and works great again. Unfortunately had to have the dealer find it. It turned out to be a short. Of course I couldn't find the short. They found it quickly probably have seen it a million times. Also my alternator decided to burn up right after they started it. So it goes without saying that the whole ordeal cost me quite a bit of money. I am grateful to the Toyota techs though that were able to diagnose this problem so quickly. If you are having this trouble I recommend getting an electrical drawing of all the ground wires on your Tacoma that would've helped me greatly. Good luck to anyone that has this same issue!

4. Jun 8, 2017 at 5:37 PM
    Norcalkid

Norcalkid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Willows ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Icon coilovers, rear icon gas shocks with resevuar. 100 serries American eagle wheels wrapped in 33 in bfg ta's
    So the problem was a bad ground?

5. Nov 6, 2017 at 8:39 PM
    capt.obvious

capt.obvious New Member

Member:
    Had the same problem with my 2001 Tacoma v6. Loud buzzing from the EFI fuse. Removed it, tested fine. Found the above posts, then found the loose ground wire above the #2 plug. Tightened it, problem solved.

Dalandser likes this.
  6. Nov 6, 2017 at 9:20 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Looks like it was the obvious fix ;)