Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Shock Install

Old 04-29-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
HoofHearted
HARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: McLovin
HARDSHELLTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Shock Install

Does it matter which way you install rear schocks? Boot up or boot down?
I have seen it done both ways, and the shocks I purchased came with nothing as far as instruction.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with boot up.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
HoofHearted
HARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

any particular reason?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:14 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
I would go with boot up.
Depends on what shocks were purchased. Bilstien 5100's are installed Boot down on the first gens.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
HoofHearted

Skyjacker nitro 8000
Old 04-29-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDSHELLTACO View Post
Skyjacker nitro 8000
It should say which end goes up.......Just wondering, Why did you go with Skyjacker?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
HoofHearted

I needed longer shocks, and I don't have it in my budget to buy the Bilstein's. They came with no instruction, and I'll confess they are already on boot side down. They work great, but since i put them on i have seen several vehicles with the boots up. I never paid any attention to it until now.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 AM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
OK, how about whichever way doesn't allow water/mud to pool up in the bottom of the boot? On 5100s for 2nd gens the boot is not affixed to the shock body so I want water/mud to run off not collect. Yea, same as always, no rule applies to everything.........On the other hand, my answer was no more vague than the shock type specified in the original question, lol........
Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDSHELLTACO View Post
I needed longer shocks, and I don't have it in my budget to buy the Bilstein's. They came with no instruction, and I'll confess they are already on boot side down. They work great, but since i put them on i have seen several vehicles with the boots up. I never paid any attention to it until now.
With the Skyjackers, it may not matter. They have a generic valving. Most performance shocks it makes a difference as the dampening rates are different for rebound and compression. For example, The bilstiens, OME, and others have a 70 nm/in compression rate, and a 255 nm/in rebound rate. If its on upside down, the ride can be more stiff, and less controled.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
HoofHearted

Just got off the phone with skyjacker and they said boot down. Thank god!
Thanks anyway!