1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help installing fuel pump 96 yota 4banger

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacoma207, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Dec 20, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    tacoma207

tacoma207 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    marc
    Portland ME
    Vehicle:
    96 yota coma
    3.5 lift,detroit lockers,mild cam,small turbo,35in wrapped around bead locks
    Need some guidance. On installing new fuel pump on my 96 taco with the 4cyl and tricks and tips u fellas can fill me in on the replacement. Of my old pump would be great .....thanks alot

2. Dec 20, 2014 at 8:52 PM
    knuckleduster271

knuckleduster271 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron Longrod Von Hug€nschlong
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    98 sr5 xtra cab
    881's, 5100's, soft 8's, elocker, matrix seats, smittybilt xrc8.
    Run it almost out of fuel, have a set of helping hands is always best because even almost empty theres still 5+ gallons of gas sloshing aroun, undo the filler neck and vent hose. A floor jack works good when dropping the tank. Unhook the straps holding the tank in place, drop the tank down a few inches and unplug the connector- set tank on the ground, use a 10 mm socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet to remove the 10 small bolts holding the assembly to the tank, pull assembly out- unhook the connector to the pump itself, unclamp it from the housing/sending unit, put new pump in, plug connector in (sometimes with universal pumps you have to splice a new connector pigtail on but not always) reverse the rest of the steps. Sometimes it can be a real pita getting the holding straps to line back up, I usually use a ratchet strap on each end of the tank to get it in place so they line up easily.

3. Dec 20, 2014 at 11:22 PM
    vern650

vern650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brandon
    hyrum, ut
    Vehicle:
    '97 4x4 taco xtra cab 3rz/5spd
    HBS leveling kit, 31x10.50 mudders, header/imco exhaust, rear billies, LR ucas, home brewed onboard air, cb radio
    some times its easier just to lift the bed, remove all the nuts on the fuel tank side and loosen them on the other side. Undo the filler hose from the bed and lift the tank side of the bed up hi enough to access the sending unit. Prop bed up securely and remove/replace pump and reverse steps on the bed. Make sure the bed is properly aligned with the cab and tighten it down.

4. Dec 21, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    yes, this ^^^^^^

its 100 times easier and so much better then trying to crawl around under the truck fighting with clearance issues and always needing extra help to do everything, pull off the bed and you save yourself hours of unnecessary work dropping the tank and taking everything apart

5. Dec 21, 2014 at 10:56 AM
    knuckleduster271

knuckleduster271 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron Longrod Von Hug€nschlong
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    98 sr5 xtra cab
    881's, 5100's, soft 8's, elocker, matrix seats, smittybilt xrc8.
    Hours? 100x easier? Not hardly...
    I can do a fuel pump in less than two hours on almost anything.
    Lining the bed up straight can be a pain all in itself and most likely you would need help with moving the be anyways..
    Ive done it both ways and it always seemed faster to just drop the tank (2 pins with cotter keys) vs 6 bolts. The only way I would consider lifting the bed is if the tank was full.
    Its 10x easier to work on when its on the floor in front of you- that way you can see if the tank needs flushed out much less trying to remove a foot long part out from under a bed thats lifted up a few inches. You also run the risk of dirt and debri falling in the tank by doing it under the bed. The harness and lines have a ton of slack- if you drop the tank you can reach the lines and harness no problem. Ive seen people fight with trying to unhook a fuel line or harness for hours alone trying to work under limited space.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  6. Dec 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    In Portland ME, on a 96?
    Your best bet is going to involve checking out the fasteners involved with both methods. Rust will likely be the determining factor on your choice. Take a good look at the tank straps and any fasteners on the tank. Get your head in the wheel well and try to get eyes on the pump/sending unit mount plate. It's secured to the tank with a handful of 8mm screws that like to rust into little nubs and/or snap off. You may end up wanting to drop the tank anyway for further PM or dealing with rust issues. Then on the other hand, everything involved could be a rust nightmare including the bed bolts.

Rust issues aside, both methods will have their merits. FWIW it took 20 minutes to get my tank "on the bench" by my self. This provides for gentlemanly internal/external inspection along with some spot wire brush/painting action and general clean up.
    I would spend the $100 or so for an OEM Aisin pump kit from some place like Rock Auto, as the cheapo aftermarket pumps have a poor reliability record.

7. Dec 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Never had to do the fuel pump but I'd have no problem at all cutting an access hole in bed over pump location if applicable...very easy to flange it & seal back into place, but thats the tin knocker in me talking, still betting easier/quicker than removing bed or dropping tank..

Products Discussed in

To Top