1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift Suggestions for an '02 Tacoma DCB 4x4 TRD

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by unixadm, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Dec 22, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    unixadm

unixadm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2015 DCSB 4x4 Off Road
    Hello,

I've searched and gotten some suggestions from folks, but I kind of want to lay out my goals and see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

1. Compliant ride quality within reason.
    2. Ability to fit 285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx Tires
    3. Handle the weight of a shell plus an extra 100 pounds in the bed.
    4. I do tow but nothing over 3,500 pounds.
    5. Keep a fairly level stance.

For shocks, I'm figuring Bilstein 5100's all the way around. My question is which front and rear springs to run, along with shackles.

For wheels I want to use the Fuel Trophy Gun Metal's in 17x8.5, -6 Offset, 5.5 Backspace. A fellow forum member is running these and I think they look great. My truck is Lunar Mist (Silver), so I think it would make for a pretty good combination.

So I'm trying to keep it pretty simple. The rear springs in my Tacoma have seen better days at only 75k miles. So I figure if I'm going to replace them, why not upgrade a bit. :)

Now back to battling with the DMV so I can register this thing. lol.

2. Dec 24, 2014 at 9:15 AM
    unixadm

unixadm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2015 DCSB 4x4 Off Road
    Anybody?

3. Dec 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    veg hed

veg hed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    04 Toyota TRD SR5 V6 Access Cab
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 620 springs, OME Dakar Leafs, ARB Bumper, Warn 8000 Winch, Grey Wire Mod.
  4. Dec 24, 2014 at 8:10 PM
    JAGER91374

JAGER91374 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Des Plaines
    Vehicle:
    3 TRD O/R
    OME 883's and Dakars, OME Shocks, Gray Wire, Deck Plate, Blacked Out Chrome, RAT Skids, BAMF BPV Bracket, Toytec Diff Drop, Braided Extended Brake Lines Front and Rear, In-Dash Nav.
    I have an 03 access cab that I recently lifted. I put on 5100's a few yrs ago set at the middle setting to level the truck. I pretty much hated them from day one. They rode much stiffer than stock and felt under damped so the front end rebounded way too fast. At the time I put matching shocks on the rear that I noticed leaking less than 18 months later. I know tons of people have them and like them but I don't care for them after my experiences.

As for my recommendations. After talking to numerous people on this site and at wheelers off-road and toytec I decided on the OME kit. I went with the 883 front springs on nitro chargers on the front and dakars on the rear again with the nitro chargers. If you plan to go with a front bumper or serious skids then go with the 883's. If not then the 881's will be a smoother ride. You'll want the trim packer on the drivers side the get rid of the taco lean.

Also plan on the extended rear brake line and the toytec diff drop. If you get any vibration in the drive line you'll need either a carrier bearing drop, rear axle shims or both but both are cheap and easy to install.

As for tires and wheels. I decided to stick with the stock wheels but wrapped them in 265/75/16 duratrac's in C load. They're a touch over 32 tall. I will tell you that the tires have been the single largest factor in ride quality. Be honest with yourself. If you don't need LT tires then stick with P rated as they ride much better in a light truck.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  5. Dec 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

NOLA ItsNotOva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    How's the ride with the 883's? I wanted to go with OME when I do my suspension as EVERYTHING is beyond worn out, but can't afford the kit from Wheelers right now. I'm running 265/70/16 Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains with Kevlar and I have a double cab.

6. Dec 25, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    JAGER91374

JAGER91374 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Des Plaines
    Vehicle:
    3 TRD O/R
    OME 883's and Dakars, OME Shocks, Gray Wire, Deck Plate, Blacked Out Chrome, RAT Skids, BAMF BPV Bracket, Toytec Diff Drop, Braided Extended Brake Lines Front and Rear, In-Dash Nav.
    The ride with the 883's was stiff before I put the skids on. The pic above was taken a soon as the truck rolled off the lift so no time to settle and the truck doesn't have any of the skid plates installed so it sat just ever so slightly nose high. With a full set of Skid Row (great pieces BTW) installed the ride is much better and it sets just a tad nose down. Adding the 110lbs or so really made a difference. It's still a little stiff but not objectionable. Again the LT tires had a bigger effect on ride than the springs. I swapped my old P rated tires back on while chasing down a vibration issue and noticed the ride was much better but I really need the thicker sidewall. At least I think I do.

Just be honest with yourself when you buy the lift. If you're going with skids or a bumper later on then go with the 883's otherwise stick with the 881's. Or start with the 881's and swap to the 883's when you add more weight later. Pulling the struts out of these trucks is super simple and can be done in about 15 mins per side. Any suspension shop will swap springs for about $25 or if you know them a case of beer... You'll have no problems selling the 881's on here later on.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  7. Dec 25, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

NOLA ItsNotOva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    Well for right now, I'll probably end up getting Rough Country shocks. But later on want to swap to OME. I was told 883 would be good for my truck because its a double cab. I've never spoken to anyone with one without any armor on theirs, so i haven't really gotten a straight answer. I would like to swap to a bumper later on once I get everything settled as I would like something more durable than the stock bumpers.

8. Dec 25, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    4thone04

4thone04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jcl
    west END of hwy2
    Vehicle:
    new at 155,000
    I would agree with jagers comments about the bilstiens. I put the 99 4runner coils in the front after putting the general HD springs in the back. I wanted a stockish ride height that I could use as a truck. The HD rears are great! the front coils are a little to much for the Tacoma bilstiens. I am looking at the 2000 tundra or 4runner bilstiens to replace the fronts. Im running 265/70/17 off a 14 fj no rubbing issues.

search general hd on the gen1 I did a review with weighted drops.

jcl

9. Dec 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    Go with OME, they look great on DCs. I went with 883s which are the stiffer coils, they'll benefit you more than mine do. I wouldn't settle for the poor man bilsteins
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top