Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wantin to turn 2001 reg cab into a "rock ready rock crawler"

Old 04-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Wantin to turn 2001 reg cab into a "rock ready rock crawler"

Like the title says, I want to make my 2001 regular cab into a rock worthy/rock ready trail rig. I still want to be able to use it as a DD but want all the "ins and outs" that go along with being rock worthy. Here is a list of what I think I need to install:

1. Locker in the rear
2. New tires (recommendations?)
3. Winch (lookin at Smittybilt)
4. Skids everywhere
5. OBA
6. High clearance rear bumper
7. New front bumper (ARB or TJM)
8. Sliders
9. Maybe 4" lift from skyjacker or tough country (taking off 3" body of course)
10. WHAT ELSE!!!!!!???

An suggestions on what else I may need?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Bob the bed, and get some protection for the drive shaft.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
cut off your front suspension

weld in solid front axle

trim fenders to fit 36"+ tires

lock front and rear diffs

armor the shit out of your truck

then you can get really fancy and drop in a crawl box and twin sticks
Old 04-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
cut off your front suspension

weld in solid front axle

trim fenders to fit 36"+ tires

lock front and rear diffs

armor the shit out of your truck

then you can get really fancy and drop in a crawl box and twin sticks
Wrap it all up with a fancy cage
Old 04-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Wrap it all up with a fancy cage
that would be included in armoring the shit out of the truck
Old 04-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolayiv View Post
Oh and a cage! Gotta protect your ass
Guess I shoulda looked above.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

in all actuality...to have a "streetable" rig dont armor the shit out of it
Old 04-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

All great ideas guys, but it still needs to be my DD and I am not going to wheel it on any EXTREME courses. I live in West Tennessee and let me tell you there aren't any Rocky's nearby. I am wanting to get away from muddin and go with something that requires a bit more skill. I'm not wanting to do a whole over haul on the truck, just entry level stuff.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #11

Portal axles.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Denney View Post
All great ideas guys, but it still needs to be my DD and I am not going to wheel it on any EXTREME courses. I live in West Tennessee and let me tell you there aren't any Rocky's nearby. I am wanting to get away from muddin and go with something that requires a bit more skill. I'm not wanting to do a whole over haul on the truck, just entry level stuff.

A good REBUILDABLE set of adjustable coilovers, budbuilt skids, some sliders, and a sawzall
Old 04-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Denney View Post
You originally said "Rock ready Rock crawler".......
Old 04-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #14

Some good quality skids, sliders, lockers
Old 04-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #15
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

if you want to make the rear more flexy...look into setting up the truck with 63" chevy springs...
Old 04-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

i dont suggest locking the front on IFS unless you either A)know what youre doing or b)just really love changing cv axles on the trail
Old 04-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You originally said "Rock ready Rock crawler".......
Sorry for confusion. Weekend wheeler. going to college next year so not much time to wheel it at Auburn!
Old 05-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #18

Any more ideas out there fellas?
Old 05-03-2009, 12:36 AM   #19
stikkimikki87 has a spectacular aura aboutstikkimikki87 has a spectacular aura aboutstikkimikki87 has a spectacular aura about

stikkimikki87's Tacoma Gallery
im assuming that the truck is 4x4 ?? It almost looks like a 5 lug truck in your signature...
Old 05-03-2009, 07:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikkimikki87 View Post
im assuming that the truck is 4x4 ?? It almost looks like a 5 lug truck in your signature...
It's a six lug 4x4.