Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Uh-oh 2002 taco: Toyota frame corrosion program

Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
mmjcarr is on a distinguished road

mmjcarr's Tacoma Gallery
Uh-oh 2002 taco: Toyota frame corrosion program

So, I WAS in the process of purchasing new wheels and tires when the shop I was at noticed abnormal rust on my frame. He advised me that he heard of a recall and that I should contact Toyota.

Well, I called Toyota (800-331-4331) and they did a VIN search and YES my 2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 PreRunner Double Cab is included in this recall. Aint that a B&%CH. The representative was very professional, took all of my contact information and opened up a case. He claimed that a Case Worker would be contacting me within 1 business day to discuss my options. Nevertheless, I will not be spending any additional cash on my Taco until this is resolved.

I'm kind of leary allowing them to replace the frame in fear of damage happening to other things or the truck not being put back together properly. It seems that is a TON of work. Basically, stripping the entire truck apart and putting it back together. OUCH!!!!

Has anyone ever gone through this? What were your options? Did they cover the cost of a replacement car while they did the work? How long did it take? etc......

Any advise would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 04-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I thought it was 1.5 x Blue Book.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
Is having Toyota buy it back not an option? I seem to remember them being quite generous with the amount they were paying out.
That was only the the 95.5-00 trucks. As far as I know, frame replacement is the only option on the newer ones. I know Bassetdad had this done, maybe others.
Look here. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...lp-toyota.html
Old 04-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
Yeah I thought it was 1.5 x Blue Book.

yup they will buy it back if you fail the inspection
Old 04-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
This is one of many reasons why I love living in the PacNW... No salty roads! Damn... Sorry about the loss, hopefully you will get the choice of 1.5x KBB. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Buy back for only 95.5-00 while frame replacement or corrosion protection (at dealer's discretion) for 01-04 models.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #8

mmjcarr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
Is having Toyota buy it back not an option? I seem to remember them being quite generous with the amount they were paying out.

Appearently, they have to inspect it and the dealer will make a recommendation to Toyota. The case worker claims that on 00-04 Tacos it's their descretion rather then my preference.

Considering, the frame breaking upon hard enough impact could be serious to my family I will press very hard and possibly seek legal advise.

Make sense?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #9

mmjcarr's Tacoma Gallery
Whoa, Krazie SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
yup they will buy it back if you fail the inspection
Man - sounds like KrazieSC has some serious issues to work out. Attitude bro....take a deep breathe and say Oooooommmmmmmmm! Exhale!!!

Geez!
Old 04-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjcarr View Post
man - sounds like kraziesc has some serious issues to work out. Attitude bro....take a deep breathe and say oooooommmmmmmmm! Exhale!!!

Geez!
what?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #11

mmjcarr's Tacoma Gallery
Nor-Cal baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Buy back for only 95.5-00 while frame replacement or corrosion protection (at dealer's discretion) for 01-04 models.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #12

mmjcarr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
what?
huh
Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #13
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
i think he is refering to my sig?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #14
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #15

mmjcarr's Tacoma Gallery
Nah, I'm just having fun with it. I meant no offense. I live in Minnesota now but I am originally for Northen Cali. Stockton, Cali actually. They don't like Tacomas much there. I believe the majority there prefer 65 Chevy Impalas with wire wheels. LOL! Oh wait, they might actually like Toyota's too considering the get stolen a lot. LOL!

Have fun everyone! I'm just tripping off of this corrosion thing. Having had nothing but frustrating experiences with dealers I assume this will be a drawn out process in which I have to get pissed off to get resolved. I hate when that happens.

Why can't things be simple like .....

"I'm sorry, we sold you a bad product and will replace it or simply make it right!" but I expect it to go more along the lines of...."I'm sorry but the corrosion isn't bad enough yet so drive it for 90 days and if you're still alive come back in 90 days for another inspection!"

Any thoughts?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i dont think you'll run into that

you'll either get a "your frame is fine and now warrantied for 15 years from in-service date" or "your frame is bad...we're going to replace it" OR "your frame is getting bad but we cant replace it...we'll fix it with the anti-corrosion stuff"
Old 04-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #17

mmjcarr's Tacoma Gallery
Man, I hope you're right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
i dont think you'll run into that

you'll either get a "your frame is fine and now warrantied for 15 years from in-service date" or "your frame is bad...we're going to replace it" OR "your frame is getting bad but we cant replace it...we'll fix it with the anti-corrosion stuff"
I hope you're right Tiger. If it went that easy I'd be very satisfied. However, it always seems like I'm getting the short end of the deal whether it buying a new vehicle or getting one serviced.

It's like WHOOOOAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #18
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Oh my eyes! I've been thru the buyback process, they were very helpful and the process went smoothly. Mine was a 97 though. I've read on this forum about at least one truck that had the frame replacement done. He got a free rental while the work was being done and was completely satisfied with the finished truck. I don't think you'll have to get mad, they really seem to be bending over backwards to help out people with bad frames. Good luck with it, and keep us up to date.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #19

mmjcarr's Tacoma Gallery
Well well, I'm back. My Tacoma was just dropped off at the dealership in Burnsville, Minnesota. They are doing the frame inspection as we speak. Upon arrival, they were aware of the "Frame Corrosion Program" and claimed that I was the first to bring in the truck for inspection and that they were "excited" to go through the process.

Question, If for some reason they come back and say that the frame is fine and offer no replacement and or buyback would you get an independent third party inspection or just trust them to do the right thing?

I don't mean to be so skeptical but we all know that they will do what's in the best interest of the dealership and Toyota rather then what's best for me.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

Mike
Old 05-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #20

mmjcarr's Tacoma Gallery
WOW, THAT WAS FAST!

They have completed the inspection. They claim to have found NO perforated rust and just a little surface rust. They also said that Toyota is sending them a sealant kit that I will get applyed for free once they recieve it.

Any thoughts?