1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm new Here. fuel efficiency problem.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mikelundgren, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Jan 2, 2015 at 11:15 AM
    mikelundgren

mikelundgren [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd Tacoma 4cyl 2.7L
    Additional leaf spring on the rear.
    Hello all,

I want to introduce myself and ask for some advice. I'm a landscape photographer in Phoenix, AZ. I use my 02 tacoma for what it was made for. Bought it at 50k in 2005 and now have 228k. We've been all over the Southwest deserts, including many trips to remote stretches of Sonora and Baja, Mexico. I'm not in this just for the thrill of rough trails, but to get to the best places I can, to make photographs and be in wild country. Best truck I've ever owned.

On to my issue: My standard mpg as been 20 since I owned this truck (fully loaded with camping and camera gear and traveling companions). Sometimes I can pull up to 23 but never get below 20, ever. So I started to average 18-19 last summer. My mechanic (sorry I'm not that handy with repairs!) thought it must be the fuel mix that shifts in the summer to more Ethanol. Of course, my truck never showed signs of this in the past 8 summers.

Long story short I'm still getting bad mileage and last tank was 17. The tank I'm on now looks like its getting even worse.

this summer : replaced the spark plugs, decarbed the throttle body, ran a few tanks of premium through it. fuel filter just done last week.

Any help would be appreciated. Should I replace O2 sensors even though mechanic says the 02 levels are ok, and without a check engine light on?

I'm leaving for a week long trip to Baja on Sunday and don't expect to resolve this before then, guess I'll bring along a couple jerry cans.

Thanks !

2. Jan 2, 2015 at 12:35 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Possibilities:

Partially blocked cat converter
    Low compression in one or more cylinders
    worn fuel injector(s)

3. Jan 2, 2015 at 12:35 PM
    DestroyerLite

DestroyerLite Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma SR5 V6 4X4 Auto
    I average about 17-19mpg on mine with about 50/50 hwy/city driving.

Just a thought but are your tire pressures up to spec? Maybe the diff wants some fresh oil as well.

--Dan

4. Jan 2, 2015 at 12:46 PM
    mikelundgren

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd Tacoma 4cyl 2.7L
    Thanks for the replies. Tires are at 40. I like 35 better for the ride but added some air to see if it helped. I changed the diff oil about a year ago, and had checked them a few months ago.

I hope its not the cat, low pressure or the injectors, but will check them next.

Might just change out the upstream sensor just to see. I've never changed the sensors before and 226k is about time I suppose.

5. Jan 2, 2015 at 12:50 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Clogged intake or filter maybe. Does it run different that you can tell?

6. Jan 2, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    mikelundgren

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd Tacoma 4cyl 2.7L
    One of two differences I've noticed in the past year or so: the idle can sometimes be inconsistent. When I come to a stop, the idle takes a little longer to drop back down to just under 1k.

When its cold ( and this is Phoenix, so not below freezing ) it has a little bit of hesitation starting up in 1st, if I'm really trying to give it gas. If I ease into like a gentle driver, no problem. This goes away when the truck is barely warm.

Other than that it runs just like the day I bought it. Just as much power and no noises.

Products Discussed in

To Top