1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger Rookie

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JaceF8, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Jan 4, 2015 at 6:46 PM
    JaceF8

JaceF8 [OP] Member

Member:
    North FL
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 w/ SuperCharger
    Hey I just bought my first tacoma. It's a 2002 Tacoma 4-door SR5, 4x4 with the TRD supercharger installed by the previous owner. The truck has 174,000 miles on it. I believe the supercharger was installed around 100,000 miles. I know the supercharger is not to far from being due for an oil change / service. My question is where do you typically feel the effects of the supercharger. Low end, top end, certain RPM range...? When I went to go get the truck I was expecting to be blown away by It but I haven't been so far. To be fair though I had never driven anther one of these trucks without the supercharger to compare it too. Maybe my expectations were too high. The truck runs good so I don't think there is anything wrong. Just curious what the opinion was from supercharger veterans.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  2. Jan 5, 2015 at 12:20 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Welcome to TW!

Superchargers tend to provide improved performance across most of the vehicle's RPM range. Having driven both normally-aspirated and supercharged 3.4L V6 Tacomas, I find the supercharger's presence clearly noticeable. Unfortunately, I'm not sure you're expectation of being "blown away" is realistic. When I'm looking for that, I take my Shelby out for a spin...

Note that, unless your truck is equipped with proper fuel system upgrades (e.g., URD's 7th Injector Kit), I recommend against frequent/extended high-RPM runs. Doing so can outstrip the stock system's ability to deliver sufficient fuel for the amount of air being forced into the engine, resulting in a lean-out condition that can seriously damage the engine.

3. Jan 5, 2015 at 12:32 AM

302 I love Taylor Swift :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB TRD Sport SSM
    Bedside decal
    True

4. Jan 5, 2015 at 8:21 AM
    JaceF8

JaceF8 [OP] Member

Member:
    North FL
    Vehicle:
    Yea I've read a little about the 7th injector kit. But I Also read that with that kit you need to have it tuned and put on a dyno to get it right. That all adds up to more than I'm wanting to spend right now. Thanks for the information though.

5. Jan 5, 2015 at 10:42 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock

Dyno work is where you get your tune on,,for better seat of the pants feel and proper burn for engine life.

More motor, better injectors, extra go fast goodies will get you more of what you want. This applies to almost any motor.

If you went from a V8 full size truck, to a Tacoma with a supercharger,, the difference would be disappointing 9 times out of 10. Because you are use to V8 power.

Once you eclipse the power you once felt in the V8 truck,,then the warm fuzzy feeling returns.

Don't know if you had a V8 truck beforehand, just using that as an example.

6. Jan 5, 2015 at 10:49 AM
    JaceF8

JaceF8 [OP] Member

Member:
    North FL
    Vehicle:
    I gotcha. Well maybe in the future a dyno and all that may be in order. Is all that worth doing to a truck with as many miles as mine? And is the 7th injector kit something that could be done without the need for dyno Tuning?

7. Jan 5, 2015 at 11:14 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Yes and yes.

Simple as that,,but not so simple to achieve the desired end result. Research and patience is key.

If money is a big problem right now, just save some duckets and do a bit of research before you move forward. Your not in a rush, because you bought a Toyota,,:).

8. Jan 5, 2015 at 11:22 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Forced induction isn't magic, so just it being there you should expect too much. Assuming the truck has the v6, you get (guessing) an additional 50hp. Better than stock, not OMG power by any means. I could double the hp in my taco, it's still not going to be impressive after driving my car.

9. Jan 5, 2015 at 11:27 AM
    JaceF8

JaceF8 [OP] Member

Member:
    North FL
    Vehicle:
    Granted there are a few things it seems I could do improve on the supercharger, it seems my expectations may have been a little too high.

10. Jan 5, 2015 at 4:23 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    You can definitely pump it up a bit,,but lean twoards reliability as you go. A bit of engine problem searching expands those boundarys of what it can and SHOULD NOT take, as far as boost-timing-fuel is concerned and exploding shit all across the blacktop.

Small steps, if you decide to go it alone.

Just by adding a Super, you/they basically reduced said reliability, but a smart wrench monkey who is not afraid to learn a bit more can keep it going for years on most of the orig parts and have triple X fun doing so.

Run down and drive a used same at some used schlep car lot. Chin scratching, money talkin,,then test drive one.

11. Jan 5, 2015 at 5:25 PM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    Mine doesn't really start pulling good till about 3000rpm. But it was definitely noticeable throughout the entire rpm range compared to stock. If it makes you feel any better about reliability, I put my blower on at 214K miles and then put the 7th injector and smaller pulley on, a few thousand miles later. I did a lot of reading and tuned mine myself by doing some 3rd and 4th gear pulls on the back roads and then stopping and adjusting the fuel till I hit the air/fuel ratio that I was shooting for. It took me a while to finally get it dialed in but I got it pretty damn close. I'm sure it could be better but haven't had the time or money to get it dyno'd and tuned by a pro.

12. Jan 6, 2015 at 6:12 PM
    AZHornet

AZHornet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma 4x4 AccessCab
    This...I have had my supercharger on for approx 10K miles..now at 175k miles...stock...I find it too hits at around 3K + RPM...surprising really good pulls from that RPM...I would recommend like the OP and get the 7th Injector or something...while stock is good, if you hammer it, the dreaded knock will sound. Tried 95 and 100 Octane with no luck. Trying to save for a 7th Injector now..good luck to you.

13. Jan 6, 2015 at 8:46 PM
    DSMJRV

DSMJRV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Corona, CA
    cheaper alternative is to get a devils own meth injection kit.. it will spray meth "115 octane" rather than petroleum from the 7th injector.. cost is about 300 bucks and with a mild spray nozzle you wont need to dyno tune it.. you will instantly feel 20-30hp because it will always have enough fuel at boost.. NO PING/KNOCK.. there is a decent amount of info out there if you research, or you can PM me for more info.. i refill the meth res. ever 2 or 3 tanks so its really not much of a hassle..

Jcyr likes this.
  14. Jan 7, 2015 at 10:53 PM
    8sm

8sm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwest
    Vehicle:
    2002 Impluse Red
    Honestly, I would be more concern with the condition of a s/c engine which has been obviously running lean for at least 74k miles. Unless the previous owner slowly rolled into the throttle allowing the computer time to catch up with the extra air by adding fuel. It must have been a ping fest which is not good. The SC is finicky and requires tweaking and air/fuel monitoring to run properly and not damage the engine.

At minimum it's going to take urd kit, boost and Afr Guage. About $1200 plus just to get it running properly monitored and most importantly safely.

You mention not feeling the s/c delivered much performance, it maybe the improper tune, lack of fuel or ?

Before spending any money on performance enhancements, I would suggest a compression test, assuring you're engine is running ok and can handle a properly tuned s/c.

Our engine is equipped with URD's 6th injector kit includes - larger injectors and Devils Own Meth kit.... it runs fantastic. Most people who ride in it are impressed. I also hear... " I've never heard any 4Runner sound or run like that".

It's not a V8 but it's not a stock 3.4L V-6, you should and will notice a big diffenence when properly setup

Hope this helps

Regards ....8sm

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  15. May 14, 2017 at 8:28 AM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Looking at adding a meth kit, have 2.1 pulley supercharged with little to no ping, but I'm at 5500 feet
    so I get only 7 pounds of boost, with a 2" pulley I get 10 pounds of boost, with a 2.05 pulley I get
    8 pounds of boost, so I looking at using the 2.05" pulley with 8 pounds of boost.
    2.05" pulley and 2" pulley it does ping a little on load, have EGR system so 7th injector system willl not work.
    Any suggestions on what model meth kit to buy that is a daily driver that will use the stock ECU and injectors? Or experiences

16. May 14, 2017 at 1:12 PM
    misteroldschool

misteroldschool Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 2.7l
    I noticed more power higher in the rpm's but I have the 2.7 so it may be different for the v6

17. May 14, 2017 at 1:16 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    Same I get more power the higher the rpm. However taking off from a stop will still jolt me back a bit.

18. May 14, 2017 at 1:18 PM
    misteroldschool

misteroldschool Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 2.7l
    I only get a little bit more from a start and Iv felt it lean out a few times :\ Id like to get mine dyno tuned but no one in town will do trucks.

19. Jun 4, 2017 at 9:01 AM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Are you running a meth kit??

20. Jun 4, 2017 at 12:55 PM
    Clay_916

Clay_916 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 x-cab 4x4
    5100's, All Pro 3" Standard leafs, 32" KM 2's
    System needs more fuel is the bottom line. There are a hand ful of solutions but it's really up to you to chose the right one depending on your needs, budget and mechanical expertise.

The best solution IMO would be a piggy back ecu such as a fic6 and larger primary fuel injectors. The install of the piggy back can be a bit overwhelming but it's certainly doable having no prior experience.

The 7th kit is a little easier to install and tune/maintain but it's more of a "bandaid" (hate that term) type of fix. It's a bit round-about but fixes 90% of the issues. It's a little pricier as well.

Methanol is a good solution but it's the most dangerous upon failure. It's cheap and dirty but very effective. That said you can also spend $1,000 on a nice meth kit.

At the end of the day any solution will be around $1,000 and take a couple days to install. IMO in terms of cost they rank from low to high methanol, fic6, URD. In effectiveness URD, meth, fic6 from least to most.

A cheap $200 meth kit will definitely help.

1997tacomav6 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top