1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

door locks

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 1000cat, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Jan 6, 2015 at 3:07 AM
    1000cat

1000cat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    seattle
    Vehicle:
    sr5 4x4
    stock
    bought my kid his first truck 1999 sr5 4x4,has power door locks but you cant lock the door with the key you have to lock the doors with the button inside and just shut the door the key will unlock the door and key only turns to the right and the passenger door wont even turn with the key are the lock bad or what.???????:(

2. Jan 6, 2015 at 5:42 AM
    thefatkid

thefatkid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2004 thingy
    Mine has the same issue. I cleaned and lubricated both lock cylinders. Removed them from the car and gave them a good solvent bath. Lubricated them with Tri-Flow. The passenger side returned to normal operation, the driver side still sucks. One day I will get a new set but I put up with it because it unlocks ok and I have wireless locks.

3. Jan 6, 2015 at 8:17 AM
    zenn1102

zenn1102 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    97 taco 4x4
    If I remember correctly, there are three points of operation from the actual electric door LATCH mechanism itself.......1. to outside door handle, 2. to inside door handle, 3. to lock cylinder. Just a thought, but maybe the rod from the latch to your lock cylinder inside the door may have worked itself loose, or the plastic securing tab piece holding the lock cylinder rod may have broken and the rod worked itself loose somehow. You would have to remove your door panel to access the area. May not be the solution to your problem, but it's where I would start IF the lock cylinder is actually working. Does the key turn left and right on the outside of the lock, or is it seized?

ETA: nevermind the last question.......sounds like your lock cylinder(s) have malfunctioned, and/or worn out.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  4. Jan 7, 2015 at 6:10 PM
    cep89

cep89 Active Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    I lube all the locks several times a year with PB blaster to keep mine working well. In the past I have had them not work for me and a good spray with the red tube on the can's tip into the lock and work the key for a bit gets them to move.

Products Discussed in

To Top