1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water Pump Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Fatherof2, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Jan 9, 2015 at 11:18 AM
    Fatherof2

Fatherof2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD
    Hi Gang,

The dealership tells me I need a new water pump and timing belt.

My truck has 127K on it, and I think the pump is original.

They tell me the pump is leaking a bit.

I cant see any signs of leaking.

I plan to get this work done as soon as possible, but am I going to hurt anything by delaying?

If the pump or belt were going to fail tomorrow, would there be any signs of that beforehand? Truck runs great right now.

2. Jan 9, 2015 at 11:39 AM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    The pump can be leaking and not show unless you pull the timing cover. You would only see it if it were really bad. Antifreeze can ruin the belt, if it were me I would do it as soon as I could. There shouldn't be any signs other then visual. That said the 5vzfe is a non interference engine so if the belt goes it won't damage the engine.

3. Jan 9, 2015 at 11:40 AM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    If you're mechanically inclined you can do it yourself in a day for around $300

4. Jan 9, 2015 at 12:42 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Mine was squealing/rattling/screaching just like an idler pulley bearing would sound when really bad. It started out as a slight rattle like sound. then progressively got worse. I put mine off for too long and the water pump locked up on me. So yeah do it asap. And I didn't know what I was getting into doing it myself and was pretty overwhelming. But now that I've done it, it was really easy. except the crank bolt and pulley was a bitch. If I were to it again it'd be cake. I got the whole kit with drive belts, timing belt, all internal pulleys, water pump, tensioner, seals which I didn't do, and thermostat for $310. Don't put it off for too long. But you should hear it once it gets worse. But don't take my word for that. It might not show signs and maybe the gasket is leaking. You never know.

Edit: And if it does lock up, you'll know. It will immediately bog your truck down. My timing belt was shredded when I pulled the cover off. But yeah, you'll be stranded if it does.

Products Discussed in

To Top