1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0446 Error Code Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Colonel Troutman, May 1, 2009.

1. May 1, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    Colonel Troutman

Colonel Troutman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 TRD
    I have a 99 Tacoma with 3.4L V6. A while back the check engine light came on, so I invested in an OBDII tool to see what was up. It reported an error code of P0446. I ran this by a buddy who is a mechanic and he said to try replacing the gas cap. I did this and cleared the code and everything was fine for a few weeks, then it came back again yesterday with the same code. Has anyone run into this before or have any advice on what might be causing it? Thanks.

2. May 1, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to Tacoma World! :)
    FWIW, I dont think your buddy knows what he is looking for.
    Sounds like an Emissions Vale issue. Check this out, and see if it helps.

3. May 1, 2009 at 4:21 PM
    Colonel Troutman

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 TRD
    Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like it may be a little over my head. This what happens when you have a "buddy" who's a mechanic I guess...

4. May 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    It shouldnt be to hard to fix. Identify the location of the part on the truck, and take your time. Its all just nuts and bolts. :)

5. May 1, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    Blackened Taco

Blackened Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4WD TRD Sport Tacoma Speedway Blue
    3 inch suspension lift, 16 inch TRD FJ Cruiser black alloys, 33 X 12.5/16 Swamper Trxus M/T, Line-Xed Toyota skid plate, TRD exhaust, TRD cold air intake, Full tint to match factory tint, In channel wind deflectors, Custom wired hidden XM, Black shorty antenna, Black background headlights, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Kenwood 5120 HU with navigation, Boston Acoustic SL60 front compnonent speakers, SL65 rear speakers, Grillcraft lower mesh grille, Black badging, AromorTech Offroad rear bumper and rear shackle flip kit Access tonnosprt cover, 12 volt power adapter wired in under the dash for standard plug in items. Recently added Devil Horn Toyota Logo, Thanks Andres.
    p0446 code is an evaporation leak code, also p0440, p0441 and p0456, could be as simple as a loose gas cap, most common would be a charcoal canister. but you have a leak in the fuel tank region. If the gas cap was replaced and you used an aftermarket gas cap it may also be leaking as well due to a poor seal. Most likely though it is a charcoal canister.

6. May 1, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    Colonel Troutman

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 TRD
    Thanks again. I used an OEM gas cap and it's on nice and tight. I'll look into the charcoal canister. Sooner or later I just have to tear into it and scrape a knuckle or two. Where exactly is the charcoal canister located? I think the next thing I invest in will be a Chilton's manual.

7. May 1, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    Charcoal canister location: Online service manuals:

8. May 1, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    Colonel Troutman

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 TRD
    Awesome, thanks BeefTaco. Now I have something to do tomorrow!

9. Sep 29, 2014 at 12:59 PM
    Tacotime99

Tacotime99 The Angry Taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Bumpers Sliders Skid plates 33" tires
    Thread revival! (real question below)

This is the number one thread when I searched "Tacoma P0446" on google...wow...

Ok so on to the problem, since this thread is out there already no need to make another.

I have a '99 3.4L (5VZ FE) that throws the P0446 code on occasion. I'll clear it and won't come back on for a couple days to a week or longer (depending on the driving i'm doing). I see a faster return of the code with in-city stop and go driving, where as longer road trips won't kick the code on at all. There are no other codes that come on with this one at all. This has been ongoing for about 3 months now.

That being said, I replaced the gas cap and tested the VCV (it was within spec). What are my next steps that I should take to put this thing to bed?

10. Sep 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    Crock112

Crock112 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crock
    New England
    Vehicle:
    '04 2.7l SR5 4x4 xtracab
    Just piggy backing off of Tacotime- I'm having the same code and once in a blue moon it throws P0441. I realize it's most likely the charcoal canister, but am mostly wondering what the risk of ignoring it is. Truck runs just fine, the only quirk is I sometimes have a hard time filling the gas tank. The air doesn't escape fast enough as the fuel goes in, so the fuel backs up to the top quickly and kicks the pump off.

11. Sep 30, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    Tacotime99

Tacotime99 The Angry Taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Bumpers Sliders Skid plates 33" tires
    So mine came on again today after sitting at a stop light. It's been about 8 days since it last came on and most of my driving was highway over the weekend and before.

Can anyone lend some assistance or suggest solutions (taking into account my trouble shooting done already)?

12. Dec 15, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    aztacoma1

aztacoma1 New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma
    My truck was throwing the Evap codes and I spent some time hunting down the issue, eventually had to use a home made smoke system on it but figured out that the fuel tank vent valve was the cause of the issue (as a result of this is where smoke was coming out of and should not have been)

This is a plastic valve assy that goes from the top of the tank over to the charcoal canister (how the vapors get to the canister). When I was getting parts the dealer told me that the seal will age and crack or the valve, again made of plastic, can break. I have highlighted in the attached with red arrow the part I had to replace.

After dropping the tank I found that there was a hairline crack in the plastic valve housing, which was creating the leak. While I had the tank out I replaced the seal and hoses associated with this valve. Total in parts will run ~100-150 depending on if you go dealer or online purchases, this included the hoses and seals which probably were fine, however if I am dropping the tank spending an extra 30 bucks to not have to do it again is worthwhile to me.

Just wanted to post what I had found and it has successfully fixed my truck. Likely would not have found this without smoking the system as could not see the crack in the valve until it was removed from the gas tank, but found the problem quickly and allowed for a one time effort to fix the issue.

Picture2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  13. May 21, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    tac04

tac04 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma
    Thread revival part 2. Realize this discussion is ancient but it's still #1 on google for 'tacoma p0446' so it might still help someone out there. In short my 2004 Taco 3.4 CEL came on @ 104k w/ a P0446 code (evap vent error). After checking for leaks unsuccessfully w/ propane and soapy water sprayed on hoses/connections, I decided to try cleaning my Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. Sensor head was definitely dirty - cleaned with carb cleaner, let dry, reinstalled. Took negative battery cable off battery for 10 min to reset the code. 100 miles later, no more code and the truck runs much smoother. Hope this helps. Thanks

14. May 21, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    ROCKIN RICHIE

ROCKIN RICHIE Well-Known Member

Member:
    BEAN TOWN
    Vehicle:
    02'TACO
    I had this issue.. tried all the cheap and easy fixes but nothing worked so I'll give you 2 choices.
    1. Park inside a garage and check for gas fumes overnight.
    2. Smoke test your gas tank.
    I had pinholes rusted thru top of tank around strap area. When your evap system attempts to pull a vac it cannot because of holes in gas tank giving same code as a loose gas cap. I also had NO wetness on bottom of tank to indicate fuel leak so at your age I would strongly suspect the tank?
    Good Luck!

15. May 21, 2018 at 9:46 AM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    I have fixed a P0446 code on 3 separate tacomas.

You will never fix it without a smoke test.

cruiserguy likes this.
  16. Sep 3, 2018 at 12:02 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    Thread revival #3. Hahah.

I'm getting code P0440 and yes, this is still the #1 result on Google. I've replaced the cap, MAF, plugs, and checked a few hoses.

Next, I'm going to spray soapy water on the canister and see if I get bubbles. At this point I think my problem is the canister, a valve, or a crack somewhere near the canister (above the gas tank). This is on my fiance's 2002... Not my sigh 2011.

I'll report back after. I might end up taking it to a mechanic for a smoke test. Any cheaper ways to smoke test?

17. May 9, 2019 at 3:01 PM
    scoostraw

scoostraw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 4x4 Ext Cab 6cyl 5-Speed
    Is it "after" yet?

xguntherc[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. May 10, 2019 at 12:24 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    Yeah. We got it fixed @scoostraw I WISH this was only the MAF needing to be cleaned, that's too easy.

Our fix was replacing the Overfill (or overflow) canister if I remember correctly. They had to either drop the gas tank, or remove the truck bed (shop said lifting the bed was easier). Then they replaced a little overflow canister part and valve that's ON TOP of the gas tank. It was like $400, because I was too lazy and afraid to lower the gas tank myself.

This got rid of the smell of gas, improved gas mileage, and fixed the check engine light.

P.S. When you get gas and the pump automatically shuts off.... do NOT top off your gas tank a little more. All this does is overfill stuff. Shop guy said people that constantly top-off have this problem, and she always tops off her truck. Just a thought and a little extra advice for people.

19. May 11, 2019 at 4:55 AM
    scoostraw

scoostraw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 4x4 Ext Cab 6cyl 5-Speed
    xguntherc likes this.
  20. May 11, 2019 at 4:39 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Happy to help.

Did you figure out ur problem? keep in mind that if you have the exact same code there's a big EVAP system leak and not a small EVAP system leak. So don't pay for the smoke machine. The shop already knows what's wrong, and will bullshit you into paying for extra.

When I say big I mean the big EVAP components. Not the small ones like a valve.

Products Discussed in

To Top