1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 1998 Tacoma owner, have a couple issues

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by thecbdb, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Jan 12, 2015 at 9:40 AM
    thecbdb

thecbdb [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Austin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 Ext. Cab, 4x4, 5spd, black, totally awesome
    Hello all,

I recently got a steal of a deal on a 1998 Tacoma 4x2 with the 2.4L 2RZ-FE engine and auto transmission. It only has 114k on it and it's very purple.

I've fixed a few things on it here and there but overall it needs little beyond an alignment and tires which I'm about to take care of.

I have two issues that I haven't pinned down yet:

1. There is a high pitched whining when I'm off the throttle once it has warmed up and idles at warm idle speed. A slight change in revs makes it go away. I feel like it's a vacuum leak, but I've pulled and wiggled every vacuum hose and haven't been able to affect this noise. It seems like it's coming from the vicinity of the throttle body.

2. The power is low when it's warming up. It generally pulls strong when cold, then loses power while warming up, then goes back to pulling strong when fully warmed up. I haven't replaced the fuel filter yet but the inconsistency makes me think the issue lies elsewhere. P0171 was on when I bought it. I cleaned the MAF and reset the CEL and it hasn't come on since (1.5 months ago). P0420 comes on ocassionally (O2 sensor), but I can reset it and it may not come on for a week or more.

2. Jan 12, 2015 at 10:47 AM
    JudoJohn

JudoJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD 5 speed
    I would replace the O2 sensor if I were you. that sends a lot of info to the computer and helps the ECU regulate all the systems so everything works well.

what do you mean the it's very purple? the body or the engine compartment?

3. Jan 12, 2015 at 10:50 AM
    thecbdb

Member:
    Austin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Judo,

The body is purple

4. Jan 12, 2015 at 10:53 AM
    JudoJohn

JudoJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD 5 speed
    OK! I didn't know what to tell you if the engine comp. was purple LOL.

5. Jan 12, 2015 at 11:12 AM
    wcp0611

wcp0611 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Rockvale, TN
    Vehicle:
    wcp0611@gmail.com
    Grey wire and keyless entry. I like stock.
    1. There is a high pitched whining when I'm off the throttle once it has warmed up and idles at warm idle speed. A slight change in revs makes it go away. I feel like it's a vacuum leak, but I've pulled and wiggled every vacuum hose and haven't been able to affect this noise. It seems like it's coming from the vicinity of the throttle body.

Get a can of throttle body cleaner or brake cleaner and spray a mist onto the throttle body with the truck running. If the revs change at all, then its a vacuum leak. If it doesn't, then maybe check for sounds with a screwdriver or long bar.

2. The power is low when it's warming up. It generally pulls strong when cold, then loses power while warming up, then goes back to pulling strong when fully warmed up. I haven't replaced the fuel filter yet but the inconsistency makes me think the issue lies elsewhere. P0171 was on when I bought it. I cleaned the MAF and reset the CEL and it hasn't come on since (1.5 months ago). P0420 comes on ocassionally (O2 sensor), but I can reset it and it may not come on for a week or more.

Mine has an auto tranny and does this as well. Its fine at take off and then runs a little sluggish until the tranny has warmed up and then runs fine again. Not going to say that is what's wrong with your's but food for thought.

6. Jan 12, 2015 at 11:13 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    the idler pulleys are famous for going bad, almost as often as the belts wear out it seams so check those, I bet that's the noise your hearing. they are cheap like $20 to buy

I would also see if that noise isnt coming from the power steering pump, maybe the fluid is low or it needs to be flushed and replaced.

when you replace the fuel filter you should also relocate it to be more accessible. see how to do that here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...diy-2-4l-2-7l-fuel-filter-relocation-mod.html

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  7. Jan 12, 2015 at 2:45 PM
    thecbdb

Member:
    Austin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    I've wondered this myself. It's really apparent when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear and the power really dips. The transmission fluid is kinda dark so I was going to flush it in the near future anyway. We'll see if that makes a difference.

8. Jan 12, 2015 at 8:48 PM
    Zer0

Zer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SGV, California
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
    I cleaned the inside of my throttle body and it made a big difference in performance...no more rough idles and boggy low-end, that was my scenario though. Just make sure you dont spray the straw in there like I did. The straw is either still in my engine somewhere or it melted away. I had a whining noise too...it was my water pump. I also changed my fuel filter (sort of hard to get to) and fuel pump. I also put 91 gas and some octane booster for a full tank and that seems to have helped as well. Change your pcv valve also.

9. Jan 12, 2015 at 8:53 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    Do yourself a favor and don't have that tranny flushed, just have a reputable shop perform a drain and fill, a flush may dislodge build up from the clutch packs and associated tubing and send them into the shift solenoids causing you much headache for a problem that is nothing more than old fluid.

10. Jan 12, 2015 at 9:01 PM
    Zer0

Zer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SGV, California
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
    Its true! Alot of folks do more harm with flush. Im paranoid so Im still at original tran oil at 229k.

11. Jan 19, 2015 at 7:51 AM
    thecbdb

Member:
    Austin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    So I changed the ATF this weekend, which no longer resembled any shade of red, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the filter. There is a hard line that crosses over it that allows the filter to only slide out, but there isn't the room in any direction to do so. Can this hard line be removed somehow?

Products Discussed in

To Top