1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

marker/blinker light mod w/ no cutting

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Danloes, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Jan 12, 2015 at 8:52 PM
    Danloes

Danloes [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC 4x4
    Heated seats, roof rack, OME 3" lift, 883 springs.
    Hey guys. I've seen a couple threads on converting the marker lights to act as blinkers as well, but all the suggestions I've seen require modifying the marker light housing and adding/replacing a light. I don't want to modify the housing. So...

I want to eliminate the turn signal lights and modify the marker lights to also act as my blinkers. The wiring diagram below illustrates how I think I can make it work with a 5 pin relay on each side. Relay is energized by blinker power. This will allow the marker light to blink if the marker/running lights are on or off. Question: when a 5 pin relay is NOT energized, is the 5th pin resting in a ground position? Meaning is the 5th pin and the ground from the non-energized side connected? This set up required a constant 12v power on each relay to work. But, will it work? Is there a better way to wire this?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys!

IMG_20150112_212545011.jpg
    IMG_20150112_103741271.jpg

2. Jan 12, 2015 at 9:07 PM
    Zer0

Zer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SGV, California
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
    just cut off the blinker light and attach it to your marker light to make it a blinker.

3. Jan 12, 2015 at 9:41 PM
    Danloes

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC 4x4
    That would eliminate the functionality of the front marker lights. This should allow the marker lights to blink no matter if the lights are initially on or off. The blinker power must be able to turn the marker light off if the marker light is initially on and be able to turn the marker light on if the lights initially off. Kinda weird, but I think it'll work. Its basically providing power to the marker light ground wire so it doesn't have a ground. Make sense?

4. Jan 12, 2015 at 10:02 PM
    Danloes

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC 4x4
    so I guess another thing to mention would be that the marker lights have polarity sensitive LED lights in them now. if i hook up the blinker power wire to the marker light ground wire then it would blink no matter if the marker light was on or off, only if the light was not polarity sensitive. Right?

5. Jan 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    required to have marker lights in some states, this would make it illegal (or blo a fuse if you meant just connect the wire)

I don't think a simple 5-pin relay would work. It's purpose is to close the circuit and give/take power. If the marker light is already on then the bulb is energized constantly and could overload blowing a fuse (2 power sources)

I'm not an electrician by any means but your relay would need to interrupt all power from the constant 12v of the "running" light source to run the blinker and then hand it back off when the sequence completes.

6. Jan 13, 2015 at 11:56 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    I haven't looked into this but cant you cut the wires to the marker lights, cut the wires to the blinkers, then hook the markers to the blinker and the blinker to the markers. in other words switch the wires and filp them to keep the original sockets the same but reverse how they function?

also, you do realize the markers cant be seen well from the front at all plus at night the headlight blocks it from being seen at all so people may not see your flasher is on after doing this. something to think about

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  7. Jan 13, 2015 at 2:32 PM
    Danloes

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC 4x4
    My goal was to insert 8" spot light LED bars in the blinker slots. The bars that I have just so happen to be the perfect size, give or take, and I thought it would look cool. I guess another option would be to just move the blinker to another location. I saw a mod where a guy bought those LED light bolts and drilled 5 holes in the little plastic pieces under the head lights wired them together so all they needed were 1 power and 1 ground. This would be an option I guess, I was just wanting to avoid drilling and cutting into shiz that doesn't necessarily need to be modified.

8. Jan 14, 2015 at 11:04 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    you could switch the wires but I think having amber always on under the bumper looks meh :(

if you get some LEDs for the markers and they will illuminate pretty well.

since it was never designed that way some cutting/wiring/fabricating is involved

9. Jan 15, 2015 at 1:34 PM
    Danloes

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC 4x4
    Yes. I've prepared to do some fab work to get the spots to fit correctly.

Second note, I realized that the relay diagram I posted has one fatal flaw. I was banking on pin 87a being ground when the relay was NOT energized so that the marker light would be grounded on the relay... That isnt how it works. New plan!!! Unfortunately it requires buying even more lights for the front. I'll post some pics along the journey.

Thanks for your support guys.

10. Jan 15, 2015 at 3:08 PM
    Deathbysnusnu

Deathbysnusnu Work is just a daily detour to happy hour.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    First half, no. No reason to cut any wires. And it makes no sense the way you describe it.

Second half, wrong. They can be seen just fine. In fact, better visual than the stock configuration.

OP, just cut the bulb socket mount off the lower housings and make a hole in the side markers. Glue the mount on and call it a day. ;) Lots of people have done it and it just works.

Click on my build link and it's post #2 to see what was cut off and the placement.

If you want to get creative and do the extra work, you can use a double filament bulb/socket and then you'll have to cut wires. I believe some drilling will still be required.

11. Jan 22, 2015 at 9:56 AM
    Danloes

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC 4x4
    I'm gonna go for it. I've found some new lights that I'm going to try out in the little triangular grill filler piece. Motorcycle turn signal lights look like they'll fit pretty nice.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

This along with about ten or twelve of these in the head light filler plate under the head lights for turn signals (amber ones).

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Bum...ht+bolts&pebp=1421949190948&peasin=B00MVMRS6O

The triangle lights are optional in this case, but I think it'll look pretty shweet.

This will also allow me to relocate the turn signals to the LED Bolts so that the stock turn signal slots are open for my 8" light bars. Should be pretty clean, safe, visible, and look bad ass to boot. I'll post pics of the progress.

12. Jan 22, 2015 at 3:06 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Just a little legal FYI on this type of mod: Be careful how you set up the lights. Marker lights are required to be lit at ALL times. Modifying them to flash for a turn signal is TECHNICALLY illegal (However you would probably have to have an A-hole cop to pull you over) since it actually changes the steady on light to a flashing light. Just some information for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top