1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Original CV Axles 215k miles

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 98tacoma3rz, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Jan 13, 2015 at 3:48 PM
    98tacoma3rz

98tacoma3rz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    lancaster, pa
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab Trd
    I have the original cv axles in my tacoma with 215k miles. Grease has started to "ooze" out of the outer boot at the outer clamp. Boots look pretty dry rotted anyay. I am replacing the seal on the same side at the differential because its leaking. Should I replace the axle boots or get a new CV axle? There aren't any noises coming from them. I have a 3" lift with a diff drop and I actually wheel it pretty hard 5 or 6 times a year.

Just hear so many bad things about cheap, chinese aftermarket cv axles. With 215k miles on the original axles that tells you something about OEM quality...

Anyone buy used oem? I see some of those on ebay...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jan 13, 2015 at 4:03 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    CVJ Axles in Colorado remans OEM axles with high quality components. Replaced both of mine after incidents on the trail and have had no issues since.

3. Jan 13, 2015 at 4:04 PM
    Jason85

Jason85 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    GA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Xtra cab
    Its a messy job to rebuild them but oem shafts are superior to aftermarket imo

4. Jan 13, 2015 at 4:17 PM
    98tacoma3rz

Member:
    lancaster, pa
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab Trd
    I've replaced the axle boots on cv axles before. I know it sucks. Grease everywhere. Basically, I want to know if I should keep running my OEM axles or replace it since i'll be in there anyway to replace the diff seal. Like I said it has over 200,000 miles on it but doesn't make any noises. Boots are just shot.

5. Apr 10, 2015 at 9:07 AM
    jensenjoe

jensenjoe Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2000 XtraCab 4x4 SR5, red
    42" LED lightbar, CB, PA system, sirens, SKL Motorworks KL-PRO1 performance chip, Viper alarm w/keyless entry, Rancho Quicklift Loaded struts, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front spacers, RuggedLift 2" rear block spacers, Revtek 1" Diff-drop, 4' Firestik w/custom fabbed bed mount, round LED flood/fog lights, Apex 8000k Xenon HID's
    I just noticed mine are oozing a good amount of grease a few days ago. Basically, from what I have heard, if the CV's themselves are in good shape (which it sounds like yours are) then there is no NEED to replace the axles themselves. BUT it pretty much depends on what you're willing to spend and weather or not you want to spend the time replacing the whole CV or just go quick and cheap and replace the boot and clamp. Either one is going to solve your problem just fine. I know I'm a few months late into the discussion, just wanted to post this anyway since no one had responded and I bet there are a few others looking for this info. ;D

6. Apr 10, 2015 at 5:38 PM
    98tacoma3rz

Member:
    lancaster, pa
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab Trd
    I put some stainless hose clamps on the boots that are leaking. So far been ok. The outer boots are pretty dry rotted but ok. I called cvj axle in Colorado. They said they will rebuild each axle for around 100 bucks but they also have inner and outer silicone high angle boots. Pricey but probably worth it.

7. Apr 13, 2015 at 2:56 PM
    jensenjoe

jensenjoe Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2000 XtraCab 4x4 SR5, red
    42" LED lightbar, CB, PA system, sirens, SKL Motorworks KL-PRO1 performance chip, Viper alarm w/keyless entry, Rancho Quicklift Loaded struts, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front spacers, RuggedLift 2" rear block spacers, Revtek 1" Diff-drop, 4' Firestik w/custom fabbed bed mount, round LED flood/fog lights, Apex 8000k Xenon HID's

I also know that bilsteinlifts.com sells heavier duty than stock cv axles for 1st gen tacomas. Pricing is... Ehh, not horrible. Its $500 for the pair so pretty good deal, but personally not sure on the quality as I just lost my truck 2 days ago. RIP

8. Apr 14, 2015 at 2:18 PM
    doyouevenprerun

doyouevenprerun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake from state farm
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    02 TuRD
    just got a simple lift on her
    Are they leaking because of cracked boots, or the clamps not on tight enough?

I would check that first.

I am a fan of replacing the boot and not getting an entire new CV axle.

9. Apr 15, 2015 at 2:38 AM
    98tacoma3rz

Member:
    lancaster, pa
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab Trd

Both of the factory clamps actually fell off the outer side of the inner boots. Right around 200k miles. It was weird. Stainless hose clamps are working fine now. I did buy oem replacement boots. Just not too motivated to deal with all the grease and tearing them apart.

Products Discussed in

To Top