Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Original CV Axles 215k miles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
Member
98tacoma3rz is on a distinguished road
Joined: Apr 2014, #127440
Location: York, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 52
98tacoma3rz's Tacoma Gallery
Original CV Axles 215k miles

I have the original cv axles in my tacoma with 215k miles. Grease has started to "ooze" out of the outer boot at the outer clamp. Boots look pretty dry rotted anyay. I am replacing the seal on the same side at the differential because its leaking. Should I replace the axle boots or get a new CV axle? There aren't any noises coming from them. I have a 3" lift with a diff drop and I actually wheel it pretty hard 5 or 6 times a year.

Just hear so many bad things about cheap, chinese aftermarket cv axles. With 215k miles on the original axles that tells you something about OEM quality...

Anyone buy used oem? I see some of those on ebay...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
Junior Member
Jason85 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
Joined: Dec 2013, #119005
Location: GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 18
Jason85's Tacoma Gallery
Its a messy job to rebuild them but oem shafts are superior to aftermarket imo
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
Member
98tacoma3rz is on a distinguished road
Joined: Apr 2014, #127440
Location: York, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 52
98tacoma3rz's Tacoma Gallery
I've replaced the axle boots on cv axles before. I know it sucks. Grease everywhere. Basically, I want to know if I should keep running my OEM axles or replace it since i'll be in there anyway to replace the diff seal. Like I said it has over 200,000 miles on it but doesn't make any noises. Boots are just shot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
Member
jensenjoe is on a distinguished road
 
jensenjoe's Avatar
Name: Joe
Joined: Oct 2014, #139744
Location: Bay Area
Gender: Male
Posts: 35
jensenjoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma3rz View Post
I've replaced the axle boots on cv axles before. I know it sucks. Grease everywhere. Basically, I want to know if I should keep running my OEM axles or replace it since i'll be in there anyway to replace the diff seal. Like I said it has over 200,000 miles on it but doesn't make any noises. Boots are just shot.
I just noticed mine are oozing a good amount of grease a few days ago. Basically, from what I have heard, if the CV's themselves are in good shape (which it sounds like yours are) then there is no NEED to replace the axles themselves. BUT it pretty much depends on what you're willing to spend and weather or not you want to spend the time replacing the whole CV or just go quick and cheap and replace the boot and clamp. Either one is going to solve your problem just fine. I know I'm a few months late into the discussion, just wanted to post this anyway since no one had responded and I bet there are a few others looking for this info. ;D
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #6
Member
98tacoma3rz is on a distinguished road
Joined: Apr 2014, #127440
Location: York, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 52
98tacoma3rz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenjoe View Post
I just noticed mine are oozing a good amount of grease a few days ago. Basically, from what I have heard, if the CV's themselves are in good shape (which it sounds like yours are) then there is no NEED to replace the axles themselves. BUT it pretty much depends on what you're willing to spend and weather or not you want to spend the time replacing the whole CV or just go quick and cheap and replace the boot and clamp. Either one is going to solve your problem just fine. I know I'm a few months late into the discussion, just wanted to post this anyway since no one had responded and I bet there are a few others looking for this info. ;D
I put some stainless hose clamps on the boots that are leaking. So far been ok. The outer boots are pretty dry rotted but ok. I called cvj axle in Colorado. They said they will rebuild each axle for around 100 bucks but they also have inner and outer silicone high angle boots. Pricey but probably worth it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
Member
jensenjoe is on a distinguished road
 
jensenjoe's Avatar
Name: Joe
Joined: Oct 2014, #139744
Location: Bay Area
Gender: Male
Posts: 35
jensenjoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma3rz View Post
I put some stainless hose clamps on the boots that are leaking. So far been ok. The outer boots are pretty dry rotted but ok. I called cvj axle in Colorado. They said they will rebuild each axle for around 100 bucks but they also have inner and outer silicone high angle boots. Pricey but probably worth it.

I also know that bilsteinlifts.com sells heavier duty than stock cv axles for 1st gen tacomas. Pricing is... Ehh, not horrible. Its $500 for the pair so pretty good deal, but personally not sure on the quality as I just lost my truck 2 days ago. RIP
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
doyouevenprerun is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoyouevenprerun is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoyouevenprerun is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoyouevenprerun is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoyouevenprerun is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoyouevenprerun is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoyouevenprerun is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoyouevenprerun is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoyouevenprerun is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoyouevenprerun is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoyouevenprerun is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake from state farm
Joined: Mar 2015, #152207
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 151
doyouevenprerun's Tacoma Gallery
Are they leaking because of cracked boots, or the clamps not on tight enough?

I would check that first.

I am a fan of replacing the boot and not getting an entire new CV axle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:38 AM   #9
Member
98tacoma3rz is on a distinguished road
Joined: Apr 2014, #127440
Location: York, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 52
98tacoma3rz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyouevenprerun View Post
Are they leaking because of cracked boots, or the clamps not on tight enough?

I would check that first.

I am a fan of replacing the boot and not getting an entire new CV axle.

Both of the factory clamps actually fell off the outer side of the inner boots. Right around 200k miles. It was weird. Stainless hose clamps are working fine now. I did buy oem replacement boots. Just not too motivated to deal with all the grease and tearing them apart.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Icon UCA/ CVJ axles/ Advance auto cv axles ponethousand 1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace 10 01-03-2015 11:19 AM
CV Axles Ghost848 2nd Gen. Tacomas 45 08-29-2012 10:57 AM
cv axles B ryan 1st Gen. Tacomas 1 06-20-2012 09:05 PM
CV axles? YotaDan 1st Gen. Tacomas 56 01-06-2011 06:27 AM
Cv axles ? tjgraner09 1st Gen. Tacomas 4 01-13-2009 12:30 PM


Copyright © 2015 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.