Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Where to mount a winch?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
bhtyler10 is on a distinguished road

bhtyler10's Tacoma Gallery
Where to mount a winch?

I am wanting to look into a winch for my truck, however am not sure where to mount it. I have have a first gen, with a bull bar. If I mounted it would I need to remove my bull bar or get a new bumper?? Help please, I am sure someone on here has a 1st gen with a winch.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
get one and weld it onto a pice of metal that will fit into a hitch reciver and put a reciver on the front and back (this seems like it will work in theory)
Old 05-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTacoma View Post
get one and weld it onto a pice of metal that will fit into a hitch reciver and put a reciver on the front and back (this seems like it will work in theory)
I had actually put a lot of thought into doing just that. I could keep the winch on the mount inside my toolbox. It seems like it would work to me.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
yeah i would do that if i get a winch so it stays out of the elements... on xtreme 4x4 they did this and but a little mount in the bed so it would stay attached and not slide around
Old 05-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #5

Here is one i found on 4wheelparts.com
I will probably build one myself however.
This one is 210
Old 05-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
id look into the new westin sportsman winch capible brush gaurd
idk if they make it for the tacoma yet tho

i have a warn transformer brushgaurd on my first gen and like it but after i got it i wish i woulda went with a arb front bumper for more ground clearence
Old 05-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
there were a couple people who managed to hide winches behind the stock bumper on ttora...how strong the mounting is i couldnt tell you though...

best bet would be a bumper designed for winching...such as an ARB
Old 05-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
what ever you do, weld it to the truck if its not going to be mobile. I had mine off my old 4runner stolen cuz I was to lazy to weld it on.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
what ever you do, weld it to the truck if its not going to be mobile. I had mine off my old 4runner stolen cuz I was to lazy to weld it on.
this is why i was talking about the hitch b/c at walmart the sell a hitch lock kit
Old 05-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

a hitch lock wouldnt keep someone from unbolting the winch from the winch plate...

weld those bolts onto the winch plate!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
sory i was thinking of the one they made on xtreme 4x4 where the winch was welded to basicaly a pice of square tubing with a hole to put it on a hitch reciver
Old 05-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
sory i was thinking of the one they made on xtreme 4x4 where the winch was welded to basicaly a pice of square tubing with a hole to put it on a hitch reciver
essentially the same thing

a winch plate is a flat piece of sheet metal...it can be mounted various ways...one of which involves a piece of square tube to put into a hitch receiver...

typically winch plates come with bolt holes so you can bolt the winch onto them

to prevent theft...you can weld those bolts to the winch plate making it very difficult to steal the winch
Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #13
i guess in every time i post something its easy to tell im a newb and the sc group should plan a get toether in laurens or somewhere
Old 05-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
i guess in every time i post something its easy to tell im a newb and the sc group should plan a get toether in laurens or somewhere

no worries...everyone has to start somewhere

i didnt know jack about trucks when i bought mine...got involved in a few forums like this...just kept reading and reading...
Old 05-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
there were a couple people who managed to hide winches behind the stock bumper on ttora...how strong the mounting is i couldnt tell you though...

best bet would be a bumper designed for winching...such as an ARB
\

The only problem with me is that I can't really afford to buy a full bumper as well as a winch. I have only had my bull bar since christmas. That is why I was looking into the hitch mount.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #16
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
If anything mounts to the end caps on the frame be sure to do the end cap mod.

Clicky clicky.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #17

What do yall know about this brand of winch. Only 400 bucks at sams. its sits on a hitch mount and comes with a snatchblock and all wiring
Old 05-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #18
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Sell the bull bar and you wont get hung up on everything and need to winch as much
Old 05-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Sell the bull bar and you wont get hung up on everything and need to winch as much
I usually don't need a winch myself, its for all my friends in fords and dodges that get stuck. lol I would just like to have it for a reassurance.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #20
blkcoma32 will become famous soon enough

blkcoma32's Tacoma Gallery
how much u want 4 the bull bar if you sell it, I want one!