1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new motor or rebuild??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by yoatthegoat, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Jan 14, 2015 at 3:20 PM
    yoatthegoat

yoatthegoat [OP] New Member

Member:
    Alright guys i have a 98 tacoma with the 2.7 in it and the fuel pump went out and caused the cylinders to lean out now i have bad compression in 3 cylinders should i rebuild it or buy a new motor?

2. Jan 14, 2015 at 3:25 PM
    JudoJohn

JudoJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD 5 speed
    what is the cause of the low compression? bad pistons or rings? it could be a head gasket or valves, if so, then you only need to remove and replace (or fix) and reinstall the head.

3. Jan 14, 2015 at 3:31 PM
    MrRiverMan

MrRiverMan Compulsive tinkerer

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Taco 2.7 4x4 auto, 96 Taco 2.7 4x4 manual, previously 2000 Taco 2.7 4x4 manual, 1994 22RE 4x4 manual, and 1996 T100 4x4 auto
    How did you test the compression? Lots of testers read consistently low. I would double check before you dive too deep into the motor.

4. Jan 14, 2015 at 3:35 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    SIX CYLINDER UPGRADE!

5. Jan 14, 2015 at 3:40 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    There are plenty of places that have fully rebuilt short and long block motors with and without core exchange.

Dont do it yourself unless you are really wanting to tackle this process.

6. Jan 14, 2015 at 3:44 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    I would try to find a wrecked taco and use that motor, part out the rest and break even.

7. Jan 14, 2015 at 4:20 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    costs more then a truck is worth and requires a donor vehicle to swap everything but the body and frame.

8. Jan 14, 2015 at 4:24 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    you need to tell us what you know for an absolute FACT at this point, no speculation or assumptions so we can give you good accurate advice.

what did you do so far to confirm what happened to the motor and what test readings or camera scope pictures do you have from examining it.

if it is anything serious the best solution is to always get a low mileage wrecked truck motor and swap yours out. you want a wrecked truck so you know the motor was running when it got wrecked and so you can assume its a good motor. DO NOT BUY A MOTOR SITTING ON A PALLET SOMEWHERE, most times these are not worth using unless completely rebuilt.

9. Feb 6, 2015 at 5:42 AM
    yoatthegoat

yoatthegoat [OP] New Member

Member:
    I tested the compression and three of the cylinders had low compression iam assuming that it has bad rings. Symptoms are very rough idle hard to start no power and black soot coming out of the exhaust.

10. Feb 6, 2015 at 7:57 AM
    EdFlecko

EdFlecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Sacramento, California
    That's a difficult question to answer, but you need to ask yourself several things...

1.) Do you have the skill and tools to correctly rebuild a motor?
    2.) Do you have any experience rebuilding motors?
    3.) Can you afford to pick up the phone and purchase a new or rebuilt motor?
    4.) Do you have the time to rebuild a motor?
    5.) Do you have the skill and equipment to swap the motor?
    6.) How long do you plan to keep the vehicle?
    7.) When you rebuild the motor, you have (obviously) no warranty but you would with a new or rebuilt motor - is that important to you?
    8.) When you build the motor, it may not run correctly and then you may have to diagnose and possibly correct what you did wrong - are you O.K. with that?

etc., etc., etc.

These are just a FEW of the things to consider?

Ed

11. Feb 6, 2015 at 9:12 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    or you can go to a salvage yard and find a wrecked Toyota rear wheel drive with the same engine as yours and take a gamble on that. just remember your trucks ECM and cruise control are matched for your engine so you should put the same engine back in. I say this because if you have a 2.4 then its natural to want to put in a 2.7 which is a drop in perfect fit but if you do you "may" need to swap your ECM and cruise control ECM for them to work right. as explained earlier above a v6 is not an affordable option since it requires everything but the frame and body be swapped.

used running engines can be had for $150 at places like this: http://www.pullapart.com/parts/pricing.aspx?letter=E&loc=25&#pricelist

and I don't know your location but they have yards in these locations: http://www.pullapart.com/locations/

there are also competing yards which have the same prices here: http://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locations/

and here: http://www.picknpull.com/locations.aspx

if my engine went bad I would definitely roll the dice on an engine from a wrecked truck where the plugs looked good and it had good compression. often these trucks can even have low mileage engines in them too.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top