1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power Steering tick/issue

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by maximilian55, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Jan 17, 2015 at 2:04 PM
    maximilian55

maximilian55 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    washington
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4l
    So about a week ago, my truck would make a squealing sound whenever I would crank on the steering wheel. Then two days ago I noticed a loud ticking sound coming from the engine, I assumed it was related to my power steering because of the squealing sound that started the previous week. Also the ticking sound would go away as I cranked on the steering wheel (but come back after holding it cranked for a few seconds). Yesterday, I removed most of my power steering fluid and replaced it with Bar's power steering repair fluid. My friend had a problem with his power steering making a squealing sound, and said that the bar's totally fixed it. But the ticking sound was still there.

I couldn't exactly locate the sound, but I was thinking it was a loose belt. Whenever I turned on the truck, the sound would start withing 10 seconds of starting. So today I tightened the belt up. I went out to test drive it, and after about 6 miles the sound was just getting significantly worse and worse. I cranked up my music to drown the sound and headed home. Right before I pulled into my driveway I shut off my music and the sound was completely gone...

Anyone have a similar issue?

Products Discussed in

To Top