1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intro and Auto Trans Filter / Trans ID Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by datzun86, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Jan 19, 2015 at 8:02 AM
    datzun86

datzun86 [OP] Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma SR5
    I just moved to Colorado and decided to buy my first Taco. Previous vehicle was a 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, and this is my baby who is staying inside for the winter:

[​IMG]

She's a 1996 SR5 Xtra Cab 4x4 Auto 3.4L. Needs a little TLC, but for the price I couldn't complain. After looking at ones in the 6000-9000 range, I jumped on this one with 203,000 miles. Timing belt/water pump at 159k, front suspension work as well (tie rod, steering rack bushings, etc.).

[​IMG]

On to my issue. The plan was to change every fluid and maintenance part possible, and start fresh in the maintenance dept., then tackle other issues and start minor modifications.

Completed oil change with Castrol High Mileage 5W-30, Purolator Pureone Filter. NGK spark plug wires. Drove home from the auto shop on base.

On the next day I stop at Advance Auto Parts (normally I prefer RockAuto). I gave them the details of my truck, bought a transmission filter kit. They only had one brand in stock, the "good" one. Also bought 3 quarts of DEX-III ATF. (Haynes and filter kit said 2.2-2.5q).

After I drained the transmission, I pulled the pan. I've never opened an auto transmission before, but it looked clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, as soon as I compared the filter I was sold to filter in my truck, they were completely different.

According to website, the Driveworks DW-FK312 fits a 96 Tacoma 3.4.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/driveworks-automatic-transmission-filter-kit-dw-fk312/18150491-P

I immediately assumed it was the shmuck at the register's fault, she had already made a few mistakes to begin with. After looking a little more I realized if I removed the complete filter assembly, the bolt holes and sump holes of the new filter would line up. So that's what I did.

[​IMG]

Once I got the pan back on, I put in 2.5 quarts of ATF just like the Haynes manual said. The truck wouldn't move. Put in another quart. Nothing. Had to leave it at the auto hobby shop overnight.

The next morning my plan was to add more ATF (forum members say it's more like 6-6.5). At 5 quarts it would drive, but slip a little with sometimes awkward shifts. At 6.5 quarts it feels as close to normal as I can remember. Dipstick is reading at the top of the hot section.

After a few days worth of research and searching every Toyota forum I could find, do I have a earlier (86-95) pickup or 4Runner transmission? The A340E or A340H? Those are the only filters I can find online that look like mine. I have a feeling my transmission was replaced at some point. My filter looks like the WIX 58884.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-58884/applications/make/toyota

My plan is to drain the fluid, clean the original filter I took off, and put it back on.

I know I'm supposed the have the A340F. Thoughts? How do I identify the A340E/H? Door tag says A340F.

2. Jan 19, 2015 at 9:43 AM
    Tinmann

Tinmann Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    OP, open the drivers door and below the striker plate, typically down towards the bottom in the jamb, you should see a white federal label. It should list the transmission type you have. If the label is missing you'll have to wait till gearcruncher responds. My 02' DC has a 340F if that helps.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  3. Jan 19, 2015 at 12:56 PM
    datzun86

datzun86 [OP] Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma SR5
    Well, here we go. It's titled as a 1996. Build date is 11/95, shows an A340F transmission.

[​IMG]

4. Jan 19, 2015 at 1:00 PM
    datzun86

datzun86 [OP] Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma SR5
    And the transmission is definitely an A340E.

[​IMG]

5. Jan 19, 2015 at 1:06 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    A340H- 4runners
    A340E- 2wd
    A340F- 4wd

6. Jan 19, 2015 at 1:37 PM
    Tinmann

Member:
    NorCal
    OP, I errored in my last post, I have a 340F tranny. You'd think I would know this as I just had it overhauled. I also have the blue trans tag labeled exactly as yours, 30-40LE. I'd bet yours is a 340F, so buy the appropiate filter if you already haven't done so.

The 11/95 build date and sold as a 96' is of no concern. Its not uncommon as the new vehicles roll out around Sept-Oct for the next year.

7. Jan 19, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    datzun86

datzun86 [OP] Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma SR5
    So the consensus is to stick with the new filter that looks nothing like the old one. Thanks for the advice.

8. Jan 19, 2015 at 4:39 PM
    Tinmann

Member:
    NorCal
    OP, if your not comfortable with the filter you installed, remove it and find one that is the same as you removed. But if everything lines up, I think you're good to go.

Looking at the summit link you provided and the picture of the old filter, they look like they separate in 1/2 and you can clean them. The new installed filter looks to be one piece and is a throw away item when swapping them out. That maybe the difference and why they look so different.

If it were me, if all the mounting holes and pick-ups lined up, I'd leave it so long as the performance of the transmission isn't compromised. These filters really don't do much. It's essentially a metal screen to keep the big debris from clogging things up. They're not like the oil filter.

But it's your truck and your call to make there Amigo.

Products Discussed in

To Top