Notices

Soaked carpet on driver's side, front, under seat, and rear

Old 01-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
adamg214 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Adam
adamg214's Tacoma Gallery
Soaked carpet on driver's side, front, under seat, and rear

I've been noticing a wet dog smell in my truck for awhile, and after the truck was parked outside for two weeks over xmas, decided to figure out what was going on. Driver's front mat was wet, and carpet on drivers side, under seat, and rear footwell all completely soaked. There was standing water underneath gathering at the low points in all three places.

I've been driving with the heat on to dry it out and it's still wet - that's how soaked everything was. Have garaged it since then, so I know the water is from a while ago.

Today I pulled up the carpet again, closed up the truck and poured water all over the outside -- still can't find where the leak is. Dealer said (without any diagnostics done) it's likely a windshield leak, but why would the rear floor be wet too?

I'm thinking of asking the dealer to perform this TSB - http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/...-9704-Leak.pdf - seems like people have had some success with that.

Any other ideas? I'm entry-level DIYer but up for a challenge if it means I can dry this truck out. Had it for 175k miles and it needs to run another 175k.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #2
The Texas Ayatollah
TashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dereck
TashcomerTexas's Tacoma Gallery
Tackled this a couple weeks ago, it's your weatherstripping I bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashcomerTexas View Post
Had some rainwater in the back driver side

Popped the plastic piece off, wasn't hard at all

Yikes standing water. 2 days of non stop rain

Cleaned up all this gunk

All dry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashcomerTexas View Post
Got the new OEM weatherstripping in, cleaning out the 11-12 year old gasket

Here's the old one in my hand, what a difference
Old 01-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
Air Force:
thanks for the help - I'll go ahead with that and hope it does the trick.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
The Texas Ayatollah
TashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dereck
TashcomerTexas's Tacoma Gallery
No problem. I went with OEM not aftermarket if you need the part # let me know. I used 3m weatherstripping gasket too. All leaks have stopped after this.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
Air Force:
Really like the king ranch leather mod in your truck, nice work.

Part number would be great - thanks.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
keakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
keakar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg214 View Post
thanks for the help - I'll go ahead with that and hope it does the trick.
a word of caution when installing, I have done dozens of these and after a year it will shrink about an inch so when you install it make sure its fully seated and not stretched in any way. try to push it in towards whats already in place and leave about 2" extra overhang then put the 2 ends in first in the center of the bottom strip and push both sides in working towards the sides to force it into place.

the idea is to cut it long but force it into place anyway, this way as it shrinks you wont have a 1"-2" gap open up after a year or so and keep the extra in case you need to patch a spot after shrinkage. if you do cut about an 8" section to patch in not just whats missing, if you put a little piece in it wont seal properly and where it joins together I cut a section of the "tube" part about 6" long and slide half int each open end so there are no gaps.

lastly, use a good 3m bonding adheasive to secure it in place on the top and sides but not at the bottom so it still has room to move there