Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Engine shuts down when warm

Old 01-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
trentbird is on a distinguished road
Navy: ABF3
trentbird's Tacoma Gallery
Engine shuts down when warm

I have a 1999 Tacoma 4 cyl. and it has been shutting down after it warms up to normal operating temp. It won't restart until it has cooled down a bit.
I have replaced just about everything related to the problem (fuel pump, spark plugs and wires, EGR valve, Pressure regulator, and also took apart the throttle body and cleaned that as well.
Any suggestions on what to do next?
Old 01-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
jmich2001 has a spectacular aura aboutjmich2001 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jason
jmich2001's Tacoma Gallery
Timing? Valves? Vacuum leak?
Old 01-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
keakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeakar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
keakar's Tacoma Gallery
have you looked under the truck to see if the cat is clogged and glowing red? it will become more restricted when it gets hot and it may be choking the engine.

feel the exhaust pipe when cold and keep feeling it as it warms up to see if you feel the exhaust flow slowing down.

the other thought is your coil is cutting out when it gets hot, to test this, have a "known to be good" spare plug handy and check for spark when it dies
Old 01-21-2015, 12:46 AM   #4
DrZ is on a distinguished road
DrZ's Tacoma Gallery
Is the check engine light (CEL) on?

When it stops running you need to determine if it's still sparking when you crank it. If it's still sparking, then you've narrowed it down to a fuel problem. If it's not sparking, then try to figure out if it's the ignition system itself, or a sensor not giving the computer the correct info. I'm thinking the camshaft or crankshaft position sensor since these can exhibit these symptoms, shorting out when hot, but working once they cool off. Although, I'm not sure if these would throw the CEL always if bad.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:50 AM   #5
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM1
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Coil sounds like a good idea. I had that problem on a vw bug once and it drove me crazy. Thought something was seriously messed up. Turned out to be just the coil. Only happened after it was warmed up.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #6
Darl Bundren is on a distinguished road
Darl Bundren's Tacoma Gallery
You might take a look at your EFI relay and wiring. My '91 Land Cruiser would stall out when the engine got warm until I redid the wiring. Not the same vehicle, no, but the symptoms sound similar. Good luck with the hunt!