1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No cold high idle on 3.4L

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by unixadm, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Jan 24, 2015 at 9:15 PM
    unixadm

unixadm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2015 DCSB 4x4 Off Road
    I just installed a replacement 3.4L and I used all of the sensors/intake from the donor motor. The truck in question is a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 and the motor came from a 2000 4Runner. It runs fine and idles smooth, but on my other Tacoma's and this truck prior to the motor swap, it would idle up when cold. The idle does adjust with the A/C compressor, turning the steering wheel, etc - but I would expect it to come up to 1200-1400 when cold.

No codes.

2. Jan 25, 2015 at 1:05 PM
    unixadm

unixadm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2015 DCSB 4x4 Off Road
    I used the 2000 4-Runner throttle body but it turns out there are design differences between the two units. So this morning I pulled the IAC from the original throttle body and cleaned up everything. Put it all back together and then swapped the upper plenum. That fixed the lack of high idle issue. I should have known something was up when the cruise control cable had extra slack and I had to adjust the throttle cable. At least swapping the upper plenum is a piece of cake.

Products Discussed in

To Top