1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Some strange behavior

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by wishiniwasfishin, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Jan 29, 2015 at 9:47 AM
    wishiniwasfishin

wishiniwasfishin [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtra cab
    Hi!
    I am new to the Toyota family. Just purchased an 2004 Xtra cab. I was so excited to buy it but I have been running into some situations with it that I never ran into before with other vehicles. I am hoping someone with more experience driving Tacomas might be able to help me figure out.

The first strange thing that happened to me was while driving on the highway. I was going about 70 when all of a sudden the truck felt like it was starting to fishtail. It felt as if I had hit a patch of ice, but the road was clear and dry. I slowed down to about 60, and it did it again. I thought maybe it had to do with the tires, so I pulled off and took a look, and they looked fine. I got back on the highway and was only going about 50 when it did it again, just kind of felt like I wasn't able to keep it going straight. That really freaked me out and I got off the highway and took back roads the rest of the way so I could go slower and not risk others since I wasn't sure what was going on. On the way I stopped at a friends house and he took it for a ride and said it felt fine, on the way back from his house the truck felt fine, and I had to jump back on the highway and got up to 60-65, and no more issues....
    Any ideas what that could have been?
    That friend told me that the section of road where that happened has some ruts and he recalls having issues with his truck (not a toyota) doing the same thing, but I have driven that section many times with different vehicles and never had a problem like this.

The second thing I am having problems with is handling in the snow. We just had a major snowfall in the Northeast and it was my first time driving the Tacoma in it. In 4WD, it goes fine, moves along in deep snow with no problem, fishtailing around corners a bit but I just make sure to take them slow, but when I try to stop, even when going really slow (like 5-10mph) when I brake, it makes a grinding noise and I feel like the brakes are locking up (this is on plowed roads with some packed snow) this happened to me while going down a small hill, but also on a straight road (town streets) So I try to start pumping them enough ahead of time when I know I have a stop sign or light coming up but I never know when they are going to lock up because it seems they do it even at times when I don't press down very hard.....

Like I said, I am new to this vehicle so not sure if this is just normal and something I have to get used to or if there is a problem? I don't recall running into these situations with previous vehicles I have owned.
    I had a Ranger before the Tacoma and I can definitely tell they are different in the way they drive, but with the Ranger I always felt confident driving in the snow (not confident as in speeding and thinking im invincible, but rather feeling that I could make it to work with no problem even in a storm) but the Tacoma is scaring me a little because I feel like it's being unpredictable.

Any help will be appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Jan 29, 2015 at 9:55 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Is your truck a TRD version? That has a locking differential. The previous owner may have modified the wiring to make the differential lock in any gear. Its only supposed to be able to be locked when you are in 4 low. The truck would definately act squrrelly at high speeds.

The grinding you are hearing is the antilock braking. If you have an 04, then you have this. It is supposed to do that when the wheels detect skidding.

3. Jan 29, 2015 at 9:58 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    I don't know anything about snow driving (I'm in Florida :) ), but the fishtailing on the highway could be because the truck is very light in the rear, and ruts in the road could do that. I would say go drive the same section of road again, and note where you feel it the most. Then drive it again and see if it happens at the same locations, while looking closer at the road condition there. Adding a few bags of sand in the back might help to add a little weight on the rear axle if that is the cause.
    I put new tires on my daily driver a while ago, and though it was going to kill myself. They felt like I was driving on jello when I wiggled the steering wheel back-and-forth. Now, a few months later, I am used to it and don't feel unsafe at all, even though it is probably still feeling the same way.

4. Jan 29, 2015 at 10:07 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Well, I'd get someone to make sure the rear leaf springs are not broken and the u-bolts attaching the differential to the springs are tight. Go out and look at the rear springs; are they very flat or frowning? Welcome to TW. Oh and make sure the wheel lug nuts are tight. The brake calipers may be seized.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  5. Jan 29, 2015 at 10:11 AM
    wishiniwasfishin

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtra cab
    I had taken it to my garage to get looked at before I bought it and they said everything was fine. Is that something they would have noticed pretty easily?

6. Jan 29, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    Andres

Andres Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road
    Make sure all the nuts and bolts are securely fastened to the leaf springs, u-bolts, etc.
    Make sure all lug nuts are tight,
    Has the rear differential been modified?

7. Jan 29, 2015 at 10:18 AM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    Go out and look at the front brake rotors; are they nice and smooth or are they all gouged with deep scratches. Yes? I'm thinking stuck brake caliper.

8. Jan 29, 2015 at 10:20 AM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    Gouged seized brakes? Ya. I don't trust anyone. I'd be very interested to see the condition of the rear brake pads, as well. In fact, take the truck to another garage for a second opinion.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  9. Jan 29, 2015 at 10:25 AM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    Try this.

When driving on flat straight highway at a constant speed, suddenly close the throttle. does the truck continue to go straight or does it pull to one side?

Then add power and does it continue to go straight or does it push to the other side?

If it goes in one directly when you lift and the other when you apply power, then the most likely cause is broken spider gears in the diff. If there is no change, then keep looking....

G

10. Jan 29, 2015 at 10:29 AM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    While you're looking under there...do you see any rusted holes in the frame? You could have a nice juicy law suit on your hands.

11. Jan 29, 2015 at 10:34 AM
    wishiniwasfishin

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtra cab
    I will look, but the previous owner had been taking it to be checked and maintained by a certified Toyota dealership in my town....

Products Discussed in

To Top