1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

coolant not flowing, strange!!!read

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jorgs4x4, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Jan 29, 2015 at 9:54 PM
    jorgs4x4

jorgs4x4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    94 4x4-00 prerunner
    94-3.0 headers, n full exhaust, intake, 3 inch lift. 00 tacoma stock
    hey guys, got a question i hope someone can help with!
    so i cracked a head on my 3.4, engine was rebuilt before i bought it, an 20k later i cracked a head, bought a new one, replaced both head gaskets, truck runs good. but something with the cooling system seems off. the top radiator hose gets really hot, while the bottom hose seems to stay cool, the temp gage stays normal but something doesn't seem right. i replaced the t-stat, no change, it seems like there is no flow of coolant. radiator is clean and has flow, but i don't think there is a flow from top to bottom threw the engine. does this sound normal? and i triple checked i put the head gaskets on right, learned my lesson on my 94 had them flip flopped and it ended up getting hot and rounding out the cam lobes, idk if I'm being paranoid but, i am kinda thinking i have the same issue. please i would like to here any input you may have thanks guys!!!
    Add to jorgs4x4's Reputation Quick PM Report Post

2. Jan 29, 2015 at 9:59 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    If there is flow through the radiator, then the water pump is operating. You can't get flow in the radiator otherwise. It does seem unusual for the bottom hose to stay cool with the upper hose hot. Have you tried running the engine for a short time with no thermostat at all to see if anything changes?

3. Jan 29, 2015 at 10:18 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Could be a blockage in radiator somewhere, maybe even the block , I've seen some blockages occur from old gasket material, rags, any other shit that can be over looked when breaking down a motor for repairs...

& highlighted I'll save you from getting flamed, theres to be no mention of reps, or points, or rep points, just enjoy you're stay & go about your day.... good advice....

4. Jan 31, 2015 at 1:54 PM
    jorgs4x4

jorgs4x4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    94 4x4-00 prerunner
    94-3.0 headers, n full exhaust, intake, 3 inch lift. 00 tacoma stock
    ok thanks guys, i did a little more research an talked to a buddy and realized, the flow of coolant comes out of the engine at the top and is cooled and back into the engine at the bottom, i thought it was the other way around. so theres no issue just me thinking the flow was the other way around

Products Discussed in

To Top