1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear wheels not centered/symmetrical?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TreeFiddy5, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Jan 30, 2015 at 8:11 PM
    TreeFiddy5

TreeFiddy5 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vehicle:
    2000 3.4l v6 sr5 Trd
    when I origionally bought my 2000 tacoma about 3 years ago I noticed that my rear wheels were very uneaven: the wheel on the left side is a noticeable 2 or so inches farther back than the one on the right. This was accompanied by a loud clunking noise when cornoring. Eventually I got a new leaf pack from another tacoma of the same year that had been totaled. After getting the new pack installed the wheels were made symmetrical, and the clunking stopped. However, I recently got 5100s all around, eibach coils and an ALL in the rear. After about a day I noticed that the wheels were once again not centered the same on each side but there isn't a clunking noise... What would cause this and should I be worried?

image.jpg

2. Jan 30, 2015 at 8:12 PM
    TreeFiddy5

TreeFiddy5 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vehicle:
    2000 3.4l v6 sr5 Trd
    Sorry for the picture I can only post from my phone right now..

3. Jan 30, 2015 at 10:02 PM
    drr

drr Primary Prognosticator

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    Measure from the center of the front wheel to the center of the back wheel on each side of your truck. These measurements should be exactly the same - if not, you have a serious alignment issue. Did you have a shop install the AALs and eibachs? Check the U bolts, make sure they're not cracked or warped, and are torqued correctly (89 ft-lbs).

Have you had an alignment since your truck was lifted? If not, you should definitely think about getting that done - the shop will be able to tell if there is any asymmetry, and your front end is probably out of alignment anyway due to the suspension change.

4. Jan 30, 2015 at 10:06 PM
    Darryle

Darryle It is just a truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    b60ac41e11bcd8ecf93644efe2e1691e_48d67badd848a1f3db56724e6db74905744f566c.jpg

I would start with a 4 wheel alignment or visit a frame shop and have them check the frame on their machine, it will have various points of reference to measure and verify it is correct.

Things to inspect, look and see if the axle is engaged on the pin of the spring, it is possible you missed the hole on the left side.

If that is good, check the bushings and make sure they are good.

A bent axle would cause more issues than you are seeing.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  5. Jan 31, 2015 at 5:56 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    If you are saying that the rear axle is canted in relation to the frame with one wheel ahead of the other then something is broken, likely the bolt that holds the spring pack in place. If the ubolts weren't torqued down properly they could have caused the rear axle to move around and shear off the bolt.
    If you are saying that the wheels aren't centred in the wheel well then that is a different issue and not uncommon, there is a plate you can get to fix that, more pictures from underneath and a few measurements would help to diagnose.

6. Jan 31, 2015 at 6:04 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Is it possible that one of the leaf packs was installed backwards?

7. Jan 31, 2015 at 6:18 PM
    TreeFiddy5

TreeFiddy5 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vehicle:
    2000 3.4l v6 sr5 Trd
    I had an allignment after installing the lift kit, and after measuring the wheelbase I couldnt see any large differences between the two sides, I cant say they were exactly the same though because I used a piece of string..

Im not sure I know what you mean, but the bushings are good.

I dont think that its the wheelwell, since when I compare the top of the tire in relation to a hole in the frame that's on both sides, the left wheel is visibly further forward (more centered) than the right.

I dont think so..

The truck originally had these problems when I first got it, only worse. After the new leaf pack of a doner taco the wheels were centered. But when I got it back I noticed that they were uneaven again

8. Jan 31, 2015 at 6:23 PM
    TreeFiddy5

TreeFiddy5 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vehicle:
    2000 3.4l v6 sr5 Trd
    IMG_5918.jpg

Right side, the wheel that appears to be further back..

IMG_5919.jpg

Left side, the more centered/correct looking wheel

IMG_5922.jpg

distance to front of whee well on right side

IMG_5924.jpg

distance to front of wheelwell on left side.

Im gunna call the shop tomorrow and see what they have to say about. Maybe I shouldnt worry about it as much as I am but its bugging me.

9. Jan 31, 2015 at 9:00 PM
    Darryle

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    e2be0f7c79eb82923faf5ab2d5723d23_42658669ceeab1ef6d9099e6a03a8801d1ba8e5d.jpg

The circled pin, is it centered on the axle?

Measure from tread to tread or better yet center of axle to axle. You can't rely on the flares, they are plastic and are flexible, so it is possible for them to be off, 1/2" either side will cause you to get erroneous measurements.

You need a constant point of reference, that is why a frame shop is your best bet, most 4wheel alignment shops cannot and do not align the rear axle, it is a fixed point in their mind. A frame shop will have several points of measurement to assure that the axle and frame are all within specifications.

10. Feb 2, 2015 at 7:01 PM
    TreeFiddy5

TreeFiddy5 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vehicle:
    2000 3.4l v6 sr5 Trd
    Went to the shop today to ask them about it, The guy siad he did notice that the axle wasnt aimed straight and tried getting it back in place. Said that if I ever got a new leaf pack he might be able to mess with it some more to really get it in place. Im planning on buying allpro expo leaf pack by summer so I should be able to get it worked on then. Thanks for the help!

11. Feb 3, 2015 at 4:48 AM
    Darryle

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    I looked at mine, I think a previous poster might have it right, maybe one leaf spring is in backwards. I will measure mine later today.

I'd find me another shop, if he knew about it and didn't mention it, what else is he not telling you or other customers.

Edit:
    Okay, reread your previous post about the axle being centered then moving. I don't see how this is possible, once centered on the pin, it should stay centered. I am wondering if the spring perch center hole is enlarged, like maybe prior to you getting it, someone ran it with the u-bolts loose and wallered the hole out, or possibly had a cheap lift block with the wrong size pin and reamed it out to fit?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  12. Feb 3, 2015 at 7:06 AM
    offrdmania

offrdmania Taco Wagon

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Templeton, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma LX 4 banger
    That measurement could be wrong if caster has been changed during an alignment. The caster adjustment is on the passenger side front and would push the wheel either forward or back.

13. Mar 8, 2015 at 6:08 PM
    EdinCincinnati

EdinCincinnati Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OR

Products Discussed in

To Top