1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changed oil in differential

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Kerry56, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Feb 4, 2015 at 2:03 PM
    Kerry56

Kerry56 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    W. Texas
    Vehicle:
    2004 5-lug SR5
    We had a beautiful day today...70 degrees and sunny in early Feb. is good even for W. Texas. So I took a few minutes to change out the differential oil, which I have been meaning to do ever since I bought the truck back in Nov.

On a 2 wheel drive, 5-lug, this is dirt simple and took very little effort, but was a little surprised at the condition of the old oil. There was no metal that I could feel on the magnet, but there was a kind of sludge on the drain plug, and the oil came out in glops now and again. 137,000 miles and I'd bet the oil hasn't been changed since the truck was still in warranty, and maybe not then.

Used plain ole' Castrol 90w dino oil, but I suspect it is 100% better than what was in there.

2. Feb 4, 2015 at 2:15 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    well if I were you I would put about 100 miles on it then change it again to flush out the remaining stuff. if it was globby like that im sure there was stuff that stayed in there and the fresh oil has now loosened up so it can be drained properly.

I also recommend you use full synthetic oil this time, its sooo much better to the drivetrain and greatly extends its life. I don't use dyno oil for anything anymore, there is no reason to use lesser oil just because its cheaper.

you should do your tranny and axles at least ever 100k minimum in my opinion (I think the book says 60k) and when you do I suggest you put full synthetic in it.

Products Discussed in

To Top