Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lock troubles!

Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
tacomagirl_09 is on a distinguished road
tacomagirl_09's Tacoma Gallery
Lock troubles!

My lock on the driver side of my 1996 Tacoma is broken. I can lock it from inside but I cannot unlock it with my key on the outside. I have to unlock the passenger side and crawl over to pull the lock up or I don't lock my doors at all which worries me. How much does a new lock cost? Also, do I order the part from Toyota or where would I go about buying one? I have looked at Ebay and all I have found is door handles that don't come with locks.
Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
mhonda98 is on a distinguished road

mhonda98's Tacoma Gallery
You might want to check to see if the rod that connects to the lock has come off. It should be held on with a plastic clip that might have broke. Just a thought. What happens when you turn the key in the lock?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
tacomagirl_09 is on a distinguished road
tacomagirl_09's Tacoma Gallery
The key turns but it doesn't unlock.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds more like something is disconnected than broken. Take the door pannels off and snoop around!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
It's also possible for the connector to get bent over time until it doesn't release the latch.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
GA1044 is on a distinguished road
GA1044's Tacoma Gallery
having a similar problem, except that my key wont rotate. I have to open my truck from the passenger side. any suggestions with this one
Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
my pass door lock fell into my door twice so far. so now i just use my keyless cause i dont want it to happen again.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
mhonda98 is on a distinguished road

mhonda98's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomagirl_09 View Post
The key turns but it doesn't unlock.

Sounds like the rod has come loose or off. I would take the door panel off and look at the backside of the handle. There will be two rods one for the door handle itself and one for the lock.