1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

02 Double Cab 4x4 V6 OME Lift Questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by unixadm, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Feb 8, 2015 at 4:48 PM
    unixadm

unixadm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2015 DCSB 4x4 Off Road
    Guys,

I picked up a TRD Supercharger and URD 7th injector for my 02 DC Limited 4x4 TRD with a Snugtop topper. The seller also had a set of Pro-Comp Aluminum Alloys with 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATM's in Load E. I put them on my truck today and have some minor rubbing up front, and my rear leafs are shot so I think it's time to lift it. That was the plan all along, but I'm just going to fast track it a bit. I'd like around 2.5" and perhaps enough room to run something closer to a 33" tire later on. For now I think these tires will work pretty well. I'm surprised how well they ride and how quiet they are when compared to the original Rugged Trail T/A's.

Anyhow that brings me to a lift. I am looking at the OME setup from Wheelers Off-Road (complete kit) with Nitro Charger shocks and Dakar rear springs, plus the Toytec diff drop. My question is which springs should I get? I want the truck to sit pretty level. At this point I don't see myself adding heavier bumpers or a ton more accessories, but you never know. With that said I'm leaning towards the recommended 882 front springs. With the rear topper, will I need a rear trim packer or anything to achieve a fairly level looking truck? I wouldn't mind the back being a tad higher than the front, that way if I'm hauling anything other than the shell, it won't show as much.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to order tomorrow if possible. Also does anyone have a good carrier bearing drop they'd recommend? Lastly from what I've read, the truck should ride pretty good with this lift. I don't want it to ride worse than it does now with the TRD springs. :)

[​IMG]

2. Feb 8, 2015 at 5:28 PM
    drr

drr Primary Prognosticator

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    If you're planning on leaving the stock bumpers on, the 882's will bring the front end up pretty high. That said, you can always add an AAL to the back if you need to level it out. I have the 882 coils with a front plate bumper and winch, and it sits pretty level.

I would start without the diff drop and see what your CV angles look like after lifting. The diff drops seem to cause as many problems as they fix.

If you have rear driveline vibrations, the StreetTacos carrier bearing drop is usually a dependable solution, although you might need to shim the rear axle up 3 degrees or so as well. Depending on how many miles your truck has, the carrier bearing itself may be ready to be replaced.

3. Feb 8, 2015 at 5:43 PM
    unixadm

Member:
    Vehicle:
    So that's even with it being a heavier Double Cab? Just confirming. I believe you they sell a 6th spring pack for the Dakar's as well to add additional lift. I don't want the thing way up in the air, just a nice stance.

I saw the carrier drop by Beefed Taco and was leaning that way. I am getting the 3 degree shims from Wheeler's.

My truck has 76k miles on it for reference.

I'm also going to install All-Pro UCA's.

4. Feb 8, 2015 at 6:23 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    882s and 883s will get you about the same amount of lift. Depending on how you intend to use your truck, one may be better than the other. 882s are 500lbs, 883s are 590lbs. Either should have you close to level with the Dakars and your weight.

I wouldn't bother with the diff drop, and I would altogether avoid the carrier bearing drop.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  5. Feb 10, 2015 at 1:55 PM
    unixadm

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I ordered the OME kit today from Wheeler's. They were great to work with. They talked me into 881's with a trim packer up front, no rear AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Diff Drop, 3 Degree Leaf Shims, etc. About $2100 + Shipping.

Products Discussed in

To Top