1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger is installed!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by specialized7, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Feb 12, 2015 at 12:10 PM
    specialized7

specialized7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    ,Saskatoon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 4x4
    Well last nite i put in my Supercharger, Easy peasy!
    I bought a universal a piller pod holder and put my boost gauge in there,
    also put a cheapo catch can in and the colder denso plugs.
    Seems to run good! no issues whatso ever other then the SC belt seems to ride towards one side of the pulley?
    I also did a coolant flush and installed the colder stant thermostat.
    The tranny kick down cable is extremly tight!
    Anyone got pictures of how you made your engine bay look a little nicer? i wanna reroute some of these hoses.
    It sure seems to pull harder and i love the sound!

IMG_20150212_134040_zpsbqrgzhgu_45162fac408a6e0b9cce3022cb2df9ad0fb0b340.jpg

2. Feb 12, 2015 at 12:24 PM
    joemauma

joemauma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab
    Here is how I have stuff routed under my hood. Enjoy your blower!

[​IMG]

3. Feb 12, 2015 at 12:50 PM
    specialized7

Member:
    ,Saskatoon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 4x4
    damn thats nice!
    everything looks similiar . Your kickdown cable isnt as tight?
    i need a fan schroud!

4. Feb 14, 2015 at 7:14 PM
    specialized7

Member:
    ,Saskatoon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 4x4
    Well everything g seems to run ok but one issue, at about 1800-2000 rpm if I'm crusing all the sudden it will loose power for a split second... Just bahhh and then go back to normal. That's the only issue.

5. Feb 20, 2015 at 6:40 AM
    specialized7

Member:
    ,Saskatoon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 4x4
    i could probably remove that silencer and plug it with something eh?

ANYWAYS!!! i was having some driveability issues. It would not make any power. it would barely do 110km/hr on the highway it just felt like it was powering out!
    So i looked it over. Found a vacume hose had come right off. well it was split. so i fixed that. figured that was the problem. drove it some more and it still felt like it had no power compared to the first nite i drove it with the SC.
    So anyways i was looking it over and found that this block off plate had a bolt missing and was just dangling there.
    DSC_0842_zps8xlvij9d_f32448303278c84c9b1e1e4cf7e3cc6c67977fea.jpg
    So i took it off found a new bolt put it back on with locktite.... took it for a drive and it was idling rough and still had no power? so this morning i run the codes...P0171 and P0174. Lean!!!
    Anyways upon looking it over. i put that block off plate back on upside down!!!! so i fixed that hopefully it makes everything work better. I have never cleaned the maf. Any at home products i could use on it? i dont have maf cleaner. i do have electrical contact cleaner thou?

6. Feb 20, 2015 at 6:47 AM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    You need lights!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424443633.984050.jpg

7. Feb 20, 2015 at 7:29 AM
    specialized7

Member:
    ,Saskatoon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 4x4
    That would be nice! I cleaned the man. First time in 150k lol! It was pretty dirty!

8. Feb 20, 2015 at 10:41 AM
    specialized7

Member:
    ,Saskatoon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 4x4
    well it seems to be running fine now. Not 100% sure. idle is normal. feels like more power. highway speeds arent an issue but i just got home to check codes. (no cel for some reason) and it says p0330 knock sensor circuit malfunction????

9. Feb 20, 2015 at 3:20 PM
    specialized7

Member:
    ,Saskatoon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 4x4
    ok what wires do i tap into to splice this knock sensor into the other one? anyone know?

10. Feb 21, 2015 at 3:55 PM
    SmokinYoda

SmokinYoda Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Taco 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, K&M Intake, TRD Exhaust, 6" Lift, 33x12.5x15 BFG MT's
    Did you give her any other upgrades when you installed the supercharger? Bigger injectors, fuel pump, and a piggyback ECU. I'm suspecting that's why your knock sensor is pissed off if your running lean. You'll definitely want a wideband air/fuel guage to keep an eye on that!

I'm not exactly an expert on this and there's plenty of guys who've run their SC for a long time without these upgrades, myself included... I've been dealing with knock/ping in my engine though with the supercharger. Bottom line seems to be you need to do some upgrades to deal with the increased fuel demand for the supercharger.

I was looking at the 7th injector kit from underdog racing but I've already upgraded my stock injectors so that wont work for me. There are plenty of other piggyback units that can work though, uni chip and a few others I'm not remembering.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  11. Feb 21, 2015 at 4:55 PM
    specialized7

Member:
    ,Saskatoon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 4x4
    The thing is i dont hear any knock and im running premium and its -25 celcius here .
    i have a meth injection kit waiting to be installed. BTW im running the stock pulley.
    i have the colder plugs, colder thermostat and a koolblue drop in filter

12. Feb 22, 2015 at 11:15 AM
    specialized7

Member:
    ,Saskatoon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 4x4
    Well i seem to be getting really good mileage. What are my cheapest options for the knock?
    i have a meth injection kit that i didnt install yet.

13. Feb 22, 2015 at 1:10 PM
    SmokinYoda

SmokinYoda Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Taco 4wd
    Yeah I usually only hear knock when its hot outside and I've been driving the truck awhile and in higher boost, it gets worse at higher elevations for sure. Definitely only run premium. As far as cheapest options, well nothings cheap. But from my research the 7th injector kit from underdog racing is your best bet economically if you still have stock injectors. Also the most plug n' play. I wish I'd known about that before I upgraded my injectors :frusty: Now I'm looking at a custom ECU and lots of tweaking. That kit comes with everything you need, the 7th injector puts fuel directly into your supercharger and the ECU is already tuned for the 3.4L 5VZ engine.

I don't know anything about methane injection but I would wait to install that kit or upgrade the pully until you get the truck tuned.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  14. Feb 22, 2015 at 1:18 PM
    Project.paradigm

Project.paradigm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oil Country,Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    Airlift rear air bags. Hood struts. sockmonkey bedside decal. TRD supercharger(not installed). Deckplate. Grey wire mod. Extended rear diff breather. 6000k HIDS. 18"Magnaflow. Truxxx 3" level kit. (Temporary) Wet Okole seat covers. BoxRocket bed rack. Bora 0.75 wheel spacers All pro sliders. BAMF BPV. B&M trans cooler.
    Def recommend getting the 7th injector kit. It'll run better and you'll get even more power. I'll be buying the kit before I put my supercharger on. That's the main reason it hasen't gone on yet, I keep spending money on other things.

15. Feb 22, 2015 at 1:37 PM
    Brake Weight

Brake Weight But it hasn't rained in weeks...I'll make it.

Member:
    Deep South near the Third Coast
    Vehicle:
    Taco pulling 33s and a B6 pushing 33psi
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    I haven't researched the Toyota SC much beyond pricing, but I do have a boosted VW. When running more boost than stock a tune(r) is needed. I went from 10psi stock, to now 23psi on a BT, I need more fueling. I need more to accompany the increased airflow and I need more fuel pressure to over power the additional 13psi. Make sense? So I've stepped up from a 3bar fuel system to a 4bar fuel system as well as bigger injectors. (43 to 58psi, for those that need it translated.)

So, with that tidbit said and hopefully explained enough to get your head wrapped around it. Wouldn't it be prudent to increase the fuel pressure along with a 7th injector/bigger injectors? You're basically going from a vacuum to 8-10psi. Right? Mine will run run -30 in/hg when off throttle engine braking. Which is almost -15psi. So, again, basically by boosting a NA engine to 10psi, you're now needing to overcome a 25psi increase of air pressure. Right?

Please correct me if any of this is incorrect as I'm also interested in boosting my 2.7l. But if it happens, it'll be on a turbo and not a SC. I'd rather do it a way that I already know.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  16. Feb 22, 2015 at 2:02 PM
    Brake Weight

Brake Weight But it hasn't rained in weeks...I'll make it.

Member:
    Deep South near the Third Coast
    Vehicle:
    Taco pulling 33s and a B6 pushing 33psi
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    As for water/methanol injection, it's the way to go with a turbo. A SC is a little different. With my BT car, I spray it after the intercooler and ahead of the throttle body. The charge air insanely drops about 40-60*, depending on ambient temps. But a roots style SC is basically the intake manifold. So spraying it would have to be upstream of the higher pressure. Also, with the roots type it's a double whammy; heat from pressurizing the air and hear from friction of the screws.

17. Feb 23, 2015 at 3:15 PM
    specialized7

Member:
    ,Saskatoon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 4x4
    Well dont they run these superchargers on stock motors all the time?
    I will buy the 7th kit soon.
    I got the code p0330 and p0420 today. Does that 0330 put the motor in limp mode or someshing. It seems to have no power
    th_MOV_0849_zpsxdm1rd40_8a92861b08a12799ea036970a13b84c7dfb5569f.jpg

18. Feb 23, 2015 at 3:16 PM
    specialized7

Member:
    ,Saskatoon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 4x4
    That's floored

19. Feb 27, 2015 at 12:20 PM
    SmokinYoda

SmokinYoda Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Taco 4wd
    Well yeah, but that doesn't mean they run well! The stock components are just not really capable of delivering the increased fuel demands and the stock ECU is not able compute the proper ignition timing or the air/fuel ratio when in boost. The risk of damaging your engine is much greater. I don't get any engine codes running mine though, and I definitely get plenty of power in boost. So I'd work on diagnosing/fixing whatever problems are causing those codes to pop up. It could just be your sensors, if the knock sensor is malfunctioning I do believe a symptom could be a loss of power as the ECU tries to retard the timing and alter the air/fuel ratio. Get that fixed asap!

20. Feb 27, 2015 at 5:21 PM
    specialized7

Member:
    ,Saskatoon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 4x4
    im almost ready to take it off and sell it honestly

Products Discussed in

To Top