1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please Help Me Diagnose My E-Brake Problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by skeezix, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Feb 12, 2015 at 5:06 PM
    skeezix

skeezix [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    I have a 1998 TRD with 80k miles on it. Last October I put on new rear brake shoes (a job that I have done on all my cars and trucks since 1960). When I drive on the interstate I get a rumbling that comes and goes. When it's there it is bad enough to shake the rear wheels. I'm doing 65 to 80 mpg. The rumbling does go away after 1/2 mile or so but then comes back after another 1/2 mile. When I lightly pull the emergency brake the rumbling starts, and when I release the brake the rumbling goes away. I raised the truck and checked both rear wheels by turning them by hand. The left wheel did not turn, but the right one did. I loosened up the left brake and tightened it until there was a very slight contact between the shoes and the drum. That resolved the rumbling problem. However, it has returned and the left brake is tight against the drum again. There is a very slight noticeable contact sound at the same place of rotation when I manually turn the left rear wheel. The right wheel is silent. Do you think I need new drums? I'm kinda hard up for money right now and that's why I don't buy them to see if it will cure the problem.

2. Feb 12, 2015 at 5:42 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    drums and rotors are one of those few things you can just change one side and be ok.

if the wheel in question rubs in only a few spots then replace it.

its supposed to be perfectly even contact all the way around or it is bad.

it sounds like you need a new drum on that side for sure but double check the alignment of springs and such are all good.

I wouldn't drive it until you replace that drum or it could take out the new pads and come apart locking up the wheel at highway speed.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  3. Feb 12, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    just throwing stuff out there but have you tried lubing all moving parts on the e-brake system ? (from inside drum all the way to the adjusting mount on the side of the chasis)

4. Feb 13, 2015 at 12:01 PM
    vern650

vern650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brandon
    hyrum, ut
    Vehicle:
    '97 4x4 taco xtra cab 3rz/5spd
    HBS leveling kit, 31x10.50 mudders, header/imco exhaust, rear billies, LR ucas, home brewed onboard air, cb radio
    sounds like either the drumb is out of round or slightly bent axle. I'd probably suspect the drumb first, is there a local parts house near that can turn drumbs? Might be a cheaper route than replacing.

5. Feb 16, 2015 at 4:40 PM
    skeezix

skeezix [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    I replaced the drum that was out-of-round for $50 from Autozone. I also noticed that I had connected the brake shoe return spring to the round hole nearest the wheel cylinder instead of the triangular notch farther out. Got that fixed, and on the other side too. Then adjusted the shoes until they just start to touch the drum. Hopefully that will fix the problem. Thanks for your help.

Products Discussed in

To Top