1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeal from front wheels

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by eltacoutah, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Feb 13, 2015 at 6:22 AM
    eltacoutah

eltacoutah [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport
    I have noticed that there a a squealing noise coming from my front wheels when I'm going on a slow roll and my brakes are not being applied. My brakes do need to be changed but it's squealing loud and they aren't even being pressed down. Once I hit about 8-9 mph it stops then its fine. Any ideas? Anyone had issues with this before?

2. Feb 13, 2015 at 7:29 AM
    teehext

teehext Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner SR5
    Could be a cv on its way out or possibly a wheel bearing. If you jack the front wheels off the ground you can do a bearing test by feeling for play in the wheels. Grab the tire at 12 and 6 I believe and try to rock it back and forth

3. Feb 13, 2015 at 7:50 AM
    babelt

babelt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    TN
    5100's all around. Front's set at 1.75" 265/75/16 Duratracs.
    I have a 2nd gen but recently I was having the same problem. My breaks were also close to needing to be changed. When I took my drivers side breaks off there was 1/2 inch of pad left. Plenty to do for a long while. On the passenger side the pads were down to almost the metal. That side must have stuck and it wore them down and that was the grinding I heard. I have not heard the grinding since I changed my breaks. Hope this helps. If the other suggestions don't work I would just go ahead and change the break pads.

4. Feb 13, 2015 at 7:51 AM
    HectoRome

HectoRome Playing Scientist In The PNW

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off-Road Debadged, Icon Stuffs, MaxTrac Spindles, Dirt King LCAs, Archive Garage Shackle Flip
    59926P ICON 2.5 Remote Reservoir Front Coil Over Shocks 56103 Icon Rear Hydraulic Bump Stop Kit K53163 Icon RXT Leaf Springs Kit 58730 Icon 2.5 Front Remote Reservoir Coil overs 59926P Icon 2.5 RXT OMEGA Remote Reservoir By-Pass Shocks 58550 Icon Billet Aluminum Upper Control Arms Dirt King Steel Lower Control, 1” Uni-ball Joints Archive Garage Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Flip Kit TRD Cat Back Exhaust TRD High Flow Air Filter Kenwood Receiver + JL Audio Speakers Extended Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines Electronic Locking Rear Differential Rigid LED Driving Lights LED Bar in Bumper Top Windshield LED Bar Custom TACOMA Raptor Grill w/ LED Running Lights METHOD Standard Matte Black Wheels
    Remove Pig !

My problem is the pig is usually sitting in the seat next me . . .

5. Feb 13, 2015 at 8:12 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    this sounds like only one caliper is applying brakes and the other isn't for some reason. i suggest you jack the wheels off the ground and confirm they both are braking when the peddle is pressed. its possible someone just replaced one side only to sell you the truck without it making noise but that's the only other explanation unless you have a problem with your brakes. i bet you have a bad hose not applying pressure (or not releasing causing excessive pad wear) or the calipers need to be cleaned, checked, and lubed so they move easily. people forget these brakes need to move freely so there is more to it then just slapping on new pads if you want them to work correctly.

if your brake line hoses to the calipers are old and hard or cracking, replace them, and if you do, also replace the one on the rear. you can buy all 3 from rockauto.com for $30

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top